Turtle First Aid - Drowned Turtle
I think my turtle has drowned
If your turtle has drowned, they may still be alive but unconscious. Remember, they can be with out oxygen for a long time. Never turn turtle on its back! If you do this, you may eliminate it’s only airspace left.
Here are some steps to take.
- Grasp the turtle’s head behind the ears at the base of the skull and extend the neck completely.
- Turn it head-down / tail-up and open its mouth. Some water will drip out.
- After the dripping stops, place the turtle on a flat surface (belly-down) keeping its neck extended.
- Straighten his front legs and pull them straight towards you as far as they can go.
- Keeping the legs straight, push them in as far as they will go.
- Continue pulling and pushing until the water stops coming out.
- Take the turtle to the vet so they can administer oxygen.
If this happens to your turtle, they usually develop pneumonia which will require antibiotics from a vet.