eating poop

Discussions about turtles.
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

do they eat their own poop? while i cleaned out the tank the other day i had just fed them in their little pens and i noticed a few of them pooped. when i came back a few mins later i saw that the poop was all gone. first i thought maybe they swam around and the poop got disintegrated. but it was alot of poop so the water shoulda changed to brownish but it was just slightly discolored.
questions: do they eat their own poop? is it bad for them?
Dave
Level 1
Level 1

Mine sometime do eat it. Maybe they think it as food. I don\'t think it is bad for their health, because it is food in another size, shape, smell. Haha. :)
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

Turtles do eat their own feces and it is absolutely normal behaviour for them to do so. Mine do it all the time, it shouldn\'t hurt them.
lowprofiler
Level 1
Level 1

One of mine (the dumber one) does that too, not sure if he/she eats his/her own or the other one\'s... So far i haven\'t seen anything wrong, unless there\'s a brain damage :b
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Many animals eat their feces, b/c there\'s a lot of nutrients left in there which were not fully absorbed or digested.

It\'s gross, but very normal. They actually seem to prefer feces over pelleys! lol!

The only danger is if the feces conatains worms and parasites...

Cheers,
JJ
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

those pellets are about rank anyways. can you blame them for eating their own feces.
YugiKaiba

Oh yes, poop eating. My Kaiba does it all the time. I guess there\'s nothing wrong with it, but it sure grosses me out! Someone suggested that I might be over-feeding them, but I don\'t think that\'s the reason because I only feed them once a day & it seems like they\'re always hungry. I guess that Kaiba is just a pig!

Mine has done it too. Not attractive but apparently from what I have found it\'s not harmful either. I noticed that since i put some goldfish (feeders) in the tank with my turtle that they seem to take care of alot of the feces. So, the fish eat the feces, the turtle eats the fish, it\'s a nice little system.
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

glennthiltgen wrote:
those pellets are about rank anyways. can you blame them for eating their own feces.
they dont taste good?
  • Information