Indoor/outdoor turtles....

Discussions about turtles.
goop
Level 1
Level 1

Does any body keep there turtles outside during summer and bring them back inside in winter? I am building a small pond for mine, and planned on doing this starting next year. Will they be ok?
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

A lot of people living in thenorthern climates will keep their turtles outside in the summer and bring them in during the winter.

It\'s a common practice. I do it myslef as well. What kind of turtles do you have?

Cheers,
JJ
goop
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 11 inch RES and a 8 inch softshell. I just wondered if it would harm them, they haven\'t stayed outside before for longer than a day.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

I don\'t see why not. Where do you live? I would be concerned about the temperature and predators. Just make sure they are safe from predators - especially raccoons!

Cheers,
JJ
goop
Level 1
Level 1

I live in Ohio, so they would only be outside 3 months, maybe.
My plan is to have the pond deep enough and with a lot of cover to keep predators out, but if I do see anything, I got the \'ol .22 close by.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

I hope you plan to use that just to scare them away. I made the mistake of feeding baby racoons in my yard and now they are huge and destroy everything. I hope my fish/turtle pond isn\'t next. I just put some chicken wire held down with cinder blocks. So far so good.
  • Information