Concerned avout my new RES... HELP!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Jaylii

I am very new at this whole RES thing. I am having a couple of probs...

1. I got two RES, but one of them won\'t eat! He just stays in one corner of the tank:( I am trying to feed him pellets...I don\'t wnat him to starve!

2. What material should I put on the bottom of the tank?? The pet store guy told me fish gravel, so i bought it but I just read that my RES might eat it... should I ditch it??

3. I don\'t have a heater or UV light... I live in the tropics and their tank is in a sunny spot, do I really need these??

4. Where online can I buy a good, yet moderately priced heater and UV light?? I don\'t have a ton of money to spend on these things.

Thanks for any help you can provide me.
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

answers:

1) try other foods aside from pellets; fish, crickets, veggies, boiled chicken, snails. Sometimes it takes variety to get them to eat.
2)don\'t use fish gravel. It can cause impactions and prolapses. Use larger smooth river rocks. It should be sold at pet stores.
3)Unless the water stays at 78 degrees constantly, yes you need a heater. And no matter where you live, unless the turtles are outside, they need a UV light. Sitting in the sunlight does no good, glass filters out the UV rays. Also sitting a glass tank in the sun is a recipe for disaster. The turtles can overheat and die if it gets too hot in there.
4)Try looking at the Foster and Smith reptile site. They have alot of great reptile products. Also there is a place called big-als online.
Good luck with the babies. If the one still doesn\'t eat no matter what you try, i suggest a vet visit to make sure there isn\'t anything wrong.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

I don\'t have a UVB light, I can get away without one with a snapper. All what i do is take it outside 45 mins, 4 days a week. But I would for sure get on for a RES.
Willie
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

That\'s what a snapper profetional told me to do. I didn\'t just make that up on the top of my head!!! LOL!!!!!!;)
Willie
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Your right Willie you should get one for an res. I\'ve never heard of what your talking about, but then I don\'t know that much about snapping turtles. I don\'t think that would be good for an res\'s health. They need to be under a UVB light for a good portion of the day. I keep mine on for ten hours. Also about the heater, make sure the temp at night doesn\'t drop too low, I wouldn\'t let it drop below about 75 for night time temp. If it does you might consider a heater soon. One other thng, you need a basking lamp. They need to bask for their shell to remain healthy. They make lights that are a two in one uv and heat light. I have two seperate lights, but it makes no difference.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Do use any substrates (grabel, pebble). It\'s harder to keep the tank clean and the turtles may eat it.

As for food, try dried shrimp or dried fish or insects. Pellets should be their staple diet. Be patient and your RES will eat. It takes time for it to adjust to its new home and environment.

I live in Taiwan and I ahve never used a heater. I water will drop yo 20 C, but like you said, money is a factor. Just amkre sure they have a nice warm basking spot and light (you can use a regular incandecent bulb).

As for UV, you can take your trutles out on weekends and let them bask in the sun. Once a week for a couple of hours of natural light will be sufficient. Just amke sure when you have the turts outside they are safe from predators... crows, birds, cats, etc. That\'s why I suggest the weekend, so you can keep an eye on them. Or you can build a screen or something. Don\'t put them out in their glass tank. Use a plastic tub. The glass tank will act like a greenhouse... Mmmm turtle stew!

Cheers,
JJ
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Wu-Gwe
How long have you had your turtles? It sounds like you know quite a bit about turtles, but I\'m not understanding how it is that you can keep your turtle in 20C water. Thats 68F, which is too cold for them. I\'m just suprised that they even eat. I\'m sure you take care of them very well, but I just don\'t understand that. Their recommended temp is at least 78F which is about 25C, and a night time temp of, I believe, 72 to 75F, 22 to 23C. What does your temp usually stay at?

As for the uvb light, I think they need more uvb than a few hours a week to remain healthy. They need to produce D3, and I\'m not sure if getting only a few hours, would suffice to produce enough. I completely agree with letting your turtle outside for a dose of real sunlight, but not for there main source, unless they are kept outside of course. Maybe I\'m wrong, though.
  • Information