Soft shell

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

Hello ppl.
My turtles both have soft shell. I poked the back of they\'re shells gently and it sort of dents in a bit. It probably hurts so I put a cuttle bone in with it\'s shell off, and none of it was eaten. I tryed grinding it into powder and sprinkling it on they\'re food. It just washed off so I broke up bits and still none is eaten. Is a calcium block one of those things that disolves in the water? Does it work? Should I try it? Will it work if there is about 4 1/2cm in my 10g aquarium? (ya, I know it\'s small but I\'m digging a huge pond next spring:))Thanks!
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

When I looked up \"Soft Shell\" it said to remove from water and keep dry besides 30 minute soaking twice a day. It also said to sponge \"Betadine\" on it\'s shell. If it doesn\'t get any better and if you think it\'s serious or important enough try taking it to the vet.
Willie
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

I heard your supposed to give calcium supplements that can be sprinkled on food or calcium blocks or cuttle bone. They get plenty of Vitamin D though. I\'m so mad my mom doesn\'t want to buy really cheap Novalsan, which my turtle needs desperatly and she\'s going around asking what would do even though you can buy it for around $20 over the internet. :p I don\'t like the dry tank thing but I guess I have to anyways. Oh well.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

You don\'t necessarily have to take them out of the tank. You can, but that won\'t fix what the problem is. Go to the pet store and buy the the calcium tablets that disolve. Yes they do work. I use them and they are farely cheap. They dissove pretty fast so you\'ll have to get one every month or so. Buy one and try it. My turtle had a soft shell when he was a baby. We use those and his shell is hard as a rock. Now I would recommend treatment, with taking him out, if that doesn\'t work, but once you treat the problem he should get better.

Good Luck!
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

But taking the turtle out will stop infection.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

At first I was using the wrong treatment and medicine so right now I\'m just keeping them in the dry tank. It\'s not very severe right now but I\'m not sure how to get them to eat the stuff if they only have about 10 mins of eating time. Also I\'m worried about an old shell injury that looks better than before but worse than a few days ago because some of the rotten...whatever came out of the wound. I think this is good though so now it can drain and dry out. Benedine and Novalsan isn\'t available in Canada so I wanted to know what an alternative would be that could do the job. Appreciate it!
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Does your turtle just have a soft shell, or does he have an infection? If it is just a soft shell just make sure he has his calcium, and vitamin D3 from the uvb light. Taking him out won\'t solve that problem. Making sure he gets the cal, and vitamin will.

If he has shell rot of some sort, then leaving him out is a good idea. You may want to leave him in the water for longer than ten minutes. Try 30 minutes a few times a day. It will give him more time to eat, and plus you don\'t want him to dehydrate. By the way, hasn\'t he had this problem for a while now. Is it getting any better? Are there any vets in your area? If so you should seriously consider consulting one.

Also were you refering to Betadine? You can put that on their shells as well. I\'m not sure on alternatives

I hope he gets better soon:)
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

Yes betadine. Now that I think about it it may be just a natural thing. Arn\'t baby turtles supposed to have pretty soft shells? It has been a while that I\'ve been trying to treat my turtles shell sores and so far she\'s on the dry tank. I took off some of the rotten stuff that
was poking out and it looks not as serious as I thought. Still I wish I could get some Novalsan.:(
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Can\'t you order it online somehow? Also the soft shell part is common, but like I said as soon as you give them plenty of calcium and uvb light their shell should harden. Are you still treating the rot?
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

the shell is pretty much healed up and there is just a scar where it used to be:) I don\'t know since USA dollars are different than Canadian dollars.
thithirx

Betadine is an \"iodine topical solution\" that you can buy at any drugstore in the 1st aid isle. It\'s available in generic names(common names) and usually looks like a bottle of brown liquid. It\'s an antiseptic to kill skin bacteria in cuts.

Novalsan is a \"chlorhexidine solution\" that you can find at a petcare store. Most likely in can be found in the reptile isle. Other names could be Hexoral® rinse (Vetus), Novalsan® Solution (Fort Dodge), Novalsan® Scrub (Fort Dodge) and various generic preparations. It is also an antiseptic.

I think you should try treating a possible disease just to be sure that there isn\'t a fungus. Disinfect the turtle. If the turtles are young, don\'t worry because the turtles will be safe during this treatment.

Also supply with extra calcium because this healing process will require the turtle to use up more calcium in his body. This means he\'s going to need more calcium to heal properly and fix his shell.
  • Information