HELP!!!!!! My Painted Turtle won\'t eat!!! Afraid he might d

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Alyssa Loeber

Please HELP! My Painted Turtle hasn\'t eaten in about a week! Every Day I feed him about 4 turtle sticks a day and for the past week he\'s only eaten about 1 bite of one of the sticks. He\'s about 2 1/2\"-3\" from his tail to his head. I have him in a ten gallon tank with a cave and a good sized island with steps made from rocks to get on the island and he has some plants. Lately he\'s been hiding in his shell in a corner and not doing anything. I don\'t know how old he is either. I haven\'t had a sudden change in food... he\'s eaten the same food since I got him which was about 6 months ago. I haven\'t had any changes in his environment or his water temerature. PLEASE HELP A.S.A.P. !!!!!!!!!
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

OH MY GOD!!!!! Try to feed him a live things like earth worms or meal worms. Or insects like crickets. So you\'ve had him for 6 months now and he\'s only 2 1/2 inches? Were did you find him? Does he have a UVB light, if not, you need one to have him grow proporly. Try this out and tell us how it works.
Willie
deesygirl

Willie is absolutly correct. Also try some lean precooked chicken. What is your water temp? If it is to low it may not stimulate his appitite.
Alyssa Loeber

I tried the live worms but he didn\'t seem to want to even try them. I\'ll have to check his water temperature later. I\'ll also try the chicken. He\'s still acting the same though. This Friday I should be able to get things for him like the UVB light. I\'m also gonna try and get Stewart (that\'s my turtle) some feeder fish because last time that I got some of those for him he had a lot of fun chasing them around the tank. Hopefully he\'ll try to eat them. Thanks for your guys\' help! I really appreciate it. I\'ll try to write back on Saturday to tell you if he\'s gotten any better. Thanks again!!!!
Dave
Level 1
Level 1

Try some shrimp, that come in cans. They love it.
deesygirl

Every once in a while I give mine raw, fresh Halibut. Just make sure if you give them any fish that it has not been frozen.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

The temp is probably the main thing, make sure its 78-82 degrees. How big was he when you got him? Does he have a basking light?
Alyssa Loeber

It probaboly is the temp. Yes he does have a basking light. I\'ll have to try the shrimp and the halibut. I\'m gonna try and see if he will eat some feeder fish on Friday. That\'s when I\'m gonna get his UVB light. I\'ll also try and get him the heater.
  • Information