Hybernation

Discussions about turtles.

I want to hybernate my red-eared slider. He is living outdoors. But I am not sure how to hybernate him. Can someone help?
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Do you own a pond? Is there mud and leaves on the bottom? You\'d need at least 1 foot of mud and leaves for it to bury himself in. Their metabolism slows down and they don\'t eat or come up for air. I have heard of people hibernating their turts in their garage and refrigerator. Hmmm. Nice surprise for those nosey visitors, eh! lol

Cheers,
JJ
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I wouldn\'t try it unless you read up on it. It is risky and an alternative is to bring them indoors and into a heated tank. They need to not eat for about 2 weeks before, they absolutly have to have excess fat stored up (so if its a baby, don\'t hibernate it, it hasn\'t had enough time to store fat), and their temp has to be right. Those are a few things you\'ll have to worry about. Outdoors they will do this naturally, but you need to monitor them to make sure they are ok. Also about the refrigerator, yes some people do that, but I wouldn\'t recommend it. It would be surprising to see a turtle in someones refrigerator. lol
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Keep in mind that this is VERY risky!!! Most turtles don\'t make it through hibranation when they are captive. The turtle has to get A LOT of food about 6 weeks before the first frost and they need a little more then a foot of water, more like 3-5 feet. (I guess depends were you live, if you live in Wisconsin like me, you\'ll probibly need 4-5 feet. If I were you I wouldn\'t hibranate.
Willie
  • Information