full spectrum light? UV Heat?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
ntroche
Level 1
Level 1

Active UVHeat

Can someone share with me information about full spectrum light? As I understand it, Pettie (red ear slider) needs a light –source that provides him Vitamin D3? Can someone explain it a little clearer? And tell me which/ and where can I buy this light source? Is it really needed?

PS. Pettie is still a hatchling. He is only may-be 2 months old. I am very worry about his shell not growing right…
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

Their is a new light out that combines UV light with heat all in one bulb. I would recommend this bulb. It is a little pricier put well worth it. It has the right amount of active UV for your turtle. It is made by the company ZooMed and you can order them thru Foster and Smith. UV is very crucial to the health of the turtle. Also with UV lights, though they say it may last \"X\" amount, you need to replace them every 6-8 months.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

You can also buy the lights seperatly. Get a full spectrum light, you can buy it at the pet store and it will say full spectrum basking light. They also make uvb bulbs that you can set up seperatly. Go to the pet store and have a look. Just another option.
ntroche
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your reply.

I found an Active UV Heat 100-Watt Spot
UVB on the Foster and Smith website. It cost 45.00. Thanks a lot. I also brought some Solar Drops Liquid UVB, those are drops I can add to his food. Anythoughts, about those?

Again thanks,
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

I was always told solar drops are not a good idea. It is always better to just buy the light because the solar drops are artificial and you can even give your turtle overdosage. They say it is best to let your turtle create it\'s own D3
Dave
Level 1
Level 1

My friend asked me if sun light is good enought for the RES(not very strong type of sun ray)? And will RES get hurt from their attempt of trying to get out the tank? As they will go against the wall and \'hammer\' it then fall sideway into the water(mixture of water and pebbles). And are RES very active, because his RES kept doing that everyday?
Last edited by Dave on Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information