tryig turtle times

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

We purchased a turtle from a pet store about two weeks ago. I admit we did not do much pre-homework in preparation except reading the info available on this web page and two basic books. Anyway...this turtle, which I think is a yellow earred slider (is there such a thing?) is about 7 x 4 inches. We have not seen her eat (I really have no idea if it is a her) We\'ve offered turtle pellets, peas, apples, tuna... Also her shell is in REALLY bad shape! It is peeling and losing big pieces ofits...darker outter layer of shell! We put a calcium turtle piece in the water. We change the water, keep a daylight and a heatlight on at night...This turtle seems active and alert and its eyes are bright and clear.
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

Does your turtle have a heater for the water? If the water temperature is too cold, it will not eat. Try feeding the baby live pin head crickets. Usually the movement will trigger the prey drive in the turtle. Then gradually try other foods that are suitable for baby turtles. Also, just a hint about my sliders- The babies like more meat than fruits/veggies. That doesn\'t mean they shouldnt eat them eventually, but it usually takes a while. The main objective here is to get him to eat something, so try meats first-crickets, mealworms, tiny guppies...etc. Then work in veggies, like romaine lettuce, grated carrots, grated squash.
Hard to believe something soooo tiny is soooo complex, huh?

Dear Turtlecrazed,
Thanks for responding to our message. I don\'t really know how to send a message back to you specifically...but I hope you get this and can help again. Our turtle still has not eaten. We got a stroger heater, new filter and added feeder fish to the tank. Nothing. Now this turlte is swimming sideways, which I think is sign of respitory distress. We are broke and have no more extra funds to spend on this pet. Is there anything we can do to save her from dying. My intuition says take her out of the water and give her a natural antibiotic, or immune booster like echinecea...keep her warm, dry, out of the water except for soaking...but I don\'t know. HELP if you can. Thanks in advance!
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Raise the watera nd basking temp to help the immune system. I would call the vet and explain the situation. Maybe the vet will give you advice for over the counter drugs or if you\'re real lucky and explained it was a rescue, maybe s/he will see it for free.

Where do you live? I forget where, but if you search the web there are reptile vets lists every where for every region of the US and many parts of the world.

Good luck,
JJ
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. Do the things that Wu-Gwei mentioned above, and also, i would suggest keeping the turtle in a dry holding tank lined with damp paper towels with a heat lamp with a maybe 1 hour a day swim in at least 82 degree water. Don\'t let him get cold. Warmth will also help to boost his immunity. Try as hard as you can to find a vet to see him. It sounds like he has a respiratory problem. Until this is corrected or overcame, he will not want to eat. I hope this helps you somehow. Good luck with the little guy.
If you need to, you can email me at
[email protected] since sometimes i miss posts.

Hey, Thanks for all the great advice! I Hsve been keeping Silverstien in box, under a heat lamp. I\'ve been treating her for shell rot too, so this seems to be the right environment for both problems. We have been soaking her in the water for an hour daily. She seems a bit more repsonsive, but looks thinner around her head and neck. She is not gasping or yawning as much. I\'ll keep you posted.
  • Information