Dying???

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
farroutt

My turtle is a RES and hes about an inch and a half long. I got him a month ago and I put him in a 10 gallon tank with a basking area and a (bad idea) undergravel filtration system. I got home last night and i went to check on my turtle and he was wedged in the corner between the corner of the tank and the filter riser. He was head first with his tail pointing straight up in the air. I frantically tried to get him out from the area. But I thought I was too late. He wasnt stiff but all his limbs would just stay still, and his head would move back and fourth from gravity. I cant take him to the vet because there is no vet to take him to. I left him on his basking rock after i found that turtles after a near drowning can seem like they\'re dead but it can take anywhere from 1 to 24 hours for them to revive, anything after that I think it said the turtle can become brain dead. Well last night when I found him I noticed his eyes were wide open. This morning when I checked on him they were halfway closed, which wouldnt that mean there is still some life left in him? After work today I got home and noticed his head was fully extended from his shell and there was alot of green mucus with bubbles in it oozing out of his mouth. His eyes are now just squinty looking. Is turtle blood green?? Is this just his lungs tyring to rid the water. If so doesnt that mean in order for water to be removed from the lungs that air has to be pulled in? Or is he dead and all of this just his body responding to the death? Please someone respond....I wish I wouldnt have left last night!!!
Last edited by farroutt on Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

I\'m in the exact same boat dude, I feed mine in dif containers. Well I moved my Eastern paint into a dif container then all of a sudden within seconds it became stiff. So I put it with shallow water below the nostrals and have heat lamp over it. It is movings it\'s legs just a little bit and it will bring it\'s head into it\'s shell every now and then. Eyes are closed. I don\'t know what to do honestly!!
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

and so it has happened, my Eastern Painted Turtle died today. I have no idea what happened. It died in 30 seconds or maybe even less than that. No idea what happened to it.
farroutt

hey glennthiltgen, im so sorry to hear that, I think my Res has died too, it will be a miracle if it is still alive.
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

what happened to yours?
  • Information