My turtle is not growing

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Veronica

I have a baby slider turtle. I think he is about three months old, and just a little bit smaller than a fifty-cent piece. He has not grown since I got him. He eats well; I feed him Tetra Baby ReptoMin. Does anyone know what their growth rate is? And, is it true that they only grow in warm weather?
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

At 3 months, I think its ok that he is only the size of a 50 cent piece. He should start to pick up the pace here soon. Where do you have him? Is his water heated? In cold weather they hibernate, which their body slows, and uses all its resources to survive. So it would make sense that they would grow in warm weather. But if you have him in heated water all year round, then he will consistently grow.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

I live in Taiwan and I don\'t have a heater. In the winter here, the water temp goes down near the low 20s C. My RES grew as usual.

I think the first few months, hatchlings don\'t grow that fast. Hang in there. In a year or two, you\'ll be wondering where is your cute adorable turtle. I find first and second years they grow the fastest.

Cheers,
JJ :)
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Does your turtle have a UVB light? That will help pick up the pace of his growing.
Willie
  • Information