Can your turtle travel with you?

Discussions about turtles.
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

I posted this in the turtle health area but maybe its better if I ask here......I am a college student how isnt from this town. I plan on going home for the holidays. I have to take my turtle home with me because no one here can care for my baby. My question is will he be OK to travel? I have a ten hour trip! What do I place him in to travel? Will he be OK to be out of the water for that long? I plan on setting him up a tank as soon as I get home so he will feel more at home. Any suggestions comments would be greatly appreciated!
ownerofjekyllandhyde
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Val,
I had to travel from South Carolina to Iowa this summer after I got my turtles on vacation (they went from SC to PA, then PA to IA... 20+ hours in the car!) and they did just fine. I just kept my turtles in their cage and had them on one of the seats in my family\'s car (I\'m a college student, too, and I was on family vacation with them) and tried to keep their cage as flat as possible. They didn\'t seem to mind the occasional sloshing and sliding that went on during the trip. How big is your turtle? Wal-Mart has some plastic cages that would work well as a little \"travel cage\" and they come in all sizes and shapes. They\'re pretty cheap... I think their biggest one is no more than $20, even if that! You could put water in there for your turtle and maybe some big rocks (look around your neighborhood, that\'s where I found my tank rocks) as well. I think that would work well... just a suggestion! :-)

~Megan~
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

get a kritter keeper for it to be in, get one for the size of your turtle!!
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for the suggestions. I will go purchase him a cage to travel in and try to make it as homie as possible. So he won\'t miss being in the water??
ownerofjekyllandhyde
Level 1
Level 1

I would just put water in the travel cage. That way you *know* that he won\'t miss the water, because he\'ll have it! :)
  • Information