heater???

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

Hi I have painteds and now that it\'s fall we\'ve decided to bring them inside. What kind of heater do we need to get? (The water level is VERY low because one of them is injured :() Would a heating pad be okay or do we have
to go out and buy some kind of fancy system?
(It gets extremly cold in some months)
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

any kind of subersible heater will work fine, just try and keep the water at a decent temp.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

glenn is right, you need a submersible heater, but you need to make sure there is enough water to cover the glass part. If not you can cause problems, including causing the heater to crack. If it cracks it can be dangerous, because it might shock the turtles.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

For now i\'ll just leave it as it is after all it can\'t get to cold yet. Eventually i\'m going to have to do something. I can\'t put to much water in because i can\'t get the top of her shell wet, the water will make it get infected like last time I thought for sure she was going to die because there was a nasty smell comming from the hole but it went away after a few days of letting it dry out.
On the other hand, the temp will get pretty bad in the next month. (in degrees C how cold is to cold?) I don\'t know what to do. Maybe I should just ad more water and the heater and see what happends with her shell, which is healing up nicely thanks to the info i got here :)how much would a heater cost for a ten gallon tank?
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

The heater might cost you about $15.
Last edited by Ibanezkid on Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

If your afraid to put too much water in for fear that one of your turtles shell will not get better, you can leave her out. Keep her in a dry, warm spot, and just give her 30 minute baths for a few days. I\'ve read that is effective. Just a suggestion.:)
l8or g8or

I have to agree with the last post. I think I would leave it in a dry tank, with several soaks a day to hydrate & eat. The problem with only a little water is, if they happen to flip over, there isn\'t enough room to right themselves and they could possibly die. Your turtle won\'t like the dry tank, put a dark towel all around the bottom so he can\'t see out, then he won\'t panic as much.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

thanks again!
I\'ll try the dry tank idea.
Last time something like this happened, I got
a tiny peice of steril plastic, covered the wound and sealed it up with new skin. It worked really well and she could swim around!
I removed it when her shell started to shed, and was amazed amazed with how much it healed in such a short amount of time. ANyone think this is a good idea? Bad?
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I\'ve heard about something like that before, but I don\'t know much about it. Did you do this to keep a water tight seal, so that it would heal? If it didn\'t seem to harm her, then I don\'t see how it could be too bad. I think I would stick to keeping them out of the water, only because I don\'t know much about that, and I would be afraid that I would hurt them even more.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

Your right.
I really have no idea what the effects of that method can do to a turtle. I\'ll do a little research and check with some vets. I don\'t see what the harm could be but i don\'t want to find out the hard way.
Thank you ppl!:)
Harvp46

Read the submersible heater instructions very very carefully, or it\'ll crack the first time you misuse it. It\'s especially important to unplug the unit for 15 minutes before cleaning the tank, and NOT replug it in for another 15 minutes after completing the cleaning and refilling it with water. NEVER remove the heater from the tank while plugged in or still hot.
penguin_perfection wrote:
Hi I have painteds and now that it\'s fall we\'ve decided to bring them inside. What kind of heater do we need to get? (The water level is VERY low because one of them is injured :() Would a heating pad be okay or do we have
to go out and buy some kind of fancy system?
(It gets extremly cold in some months)
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

YES, be very careful about your heater cracking. If there is not enough water, it will definately do so. Unfortunately, we were doing a water change and we forgot to unplug it and it snapped!!!!
  • Information