Cleaning tank

Discussions about turtles.
sltheriault

I have a new red eared slider. The seller told me to clean the tank once every 2 weeks, but the water looks cloudy after only 1 day. What is the best method and frequency of cleaning the tank? Any suggestions welcome.
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

i have 6 in a 10 gal (temp!) and i feed them in a seperate container. you may have noticed how messy eaters they are so thats why i do that. i change and clean the tank every week. ive heard that some people change their water every 2-3 days if they feed in-tank.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I have two filters in my tank, so its not quite as messy, still messy though. I clean mine every week, at least 1/4 or 1/2 (depending on how dirty) of the water, being sure to suck the dirt out from the gravel. Then a complete cleaning every couple of weeks to a month. I really think the filters help so I don\'t have to clean quite as often. I think you should definetly clean more than every two weeks, at least a partial cleaning.
sarky
Level 2
Level 2

I have 1 turtle and three fish in a 30-gallon tank. I feed in a separate tank and have a good filter, but I still change 1/3 of the water and treat with Turtle Clean once a week.

My best advice is to get yourself a siphon (inexpensive and available at your local aquarium supply store) so you can \"vaccuum\" the waste off of the bottom of the tank. The siphon does all of the work. I used to travel back and forth dumping and refilling pitchers of water but now I can do it all in one step with a siphon and a bucket. It only takes me about 20 minutes.
ownerofjekyllandhyde
Level 1
Level 1

I clean my turtles\' tank every day, partially because I hate seeing them swimmin\' around in cloudy water and also because I think they like the nice clear water. :-) I definitely think cleaning them every few days is best... if not just for the actual cleanliness, I think they enjoy the physical contact and attention.

Just a thought! :)

We just starting cleaning the tank with a wet-dry vac and then filling it with the garden hose- we have a 40 gallon tank and fill it about 2/3 full- i tried the siphon bit- and this worked good- until my husband broke it- now he cleans the tank-
we also feed him in separate tank- but he gets finicky at times and will only eat in the large tank-

\"cecil\'s mom\"
  • Information