at night/ heater light off?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
ntroche
Level 1
Level 1

My new guy \"pettie\" sleeps with us in the bedroom at night... I can deal/ partner can\'t!!!

Can we turn his heater light off while sleeping? The temp does drop under the suggested 85 degree. Will that harm Pettie?
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Do you have a land turtle or aquatic? Im assuming you have a land turtle of some sort, since you have a heat light. How cold do you keep your room at night?

You can turn the light off. If the temp drops below 85 its ok. Night temperature should be somewhere around 75 degrees, depending on the type of turtle you have. If your room is too cold, try putting some type of cover on top to keep out any draft.

Hope that helps:)
ntroche
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you,

Tonight I am going to start recording the temp drop--it should be not go under 75-degree right? I will place a towel on top for draft protection. Again thank you,
ntroche
Level 1
Level 1

ps it is also a red-eared slider
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Oh its a res. I thought you were referring to a land turtle. If he\'s in water make sure his temp does not drop too low. Do you have a heat lamp or submersable heater? If it is a lamp, you would have to turn it off anyway so that Pettie could sleep. You really need the submersible heater that will keep the water warm. And your right don\'t let the temp drop below 75.

Let me know how he does.:)
  • Information