Can Red Eared Sliders live with fish in the tank with them??

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Cecilia

I was wondering if any type of fish could be in the tank with my red eared sliders? I have a 55 gallon tank for two small turtles. Please let me know if I can or can not.
Thank You!
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

I have a 150 gal tank with turtle,newts,frogs, and fish living all together. No one has eaten the other,YET!!!!!!:D No, seriously I originally got some guppies for the turtles but they didn\'t eat all of the fish so I keep them in there. I just recently started adding to my fish collection. I have two rainbow sharks an alea eater/plectomous(or something like that) and a Beta.
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

My turtles love to eat the fish, especially goldfish
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

George never ate a gold fish that we had to feed him. It is huge now. We decided to get more fish, because I noticed that if they were large enough he wouldn\'t eat them. I have three tropical fish in there. There called Tiger something (can\'t remember). I also have a Plakastimous. When I got Ringo, they are still uneaten. As long as they\'re large enough, I think they\'re ok, depending on your turtle. Some turtles are just more agressive.
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

The three RES i have in one of my tanks took down a large mouth bass. Talk about a mess. Those little savages.
ntroche
Level 1
Level 1

In my tank, small tank (10 gal) with Pettie, a hatchling, I have about 10 guppies (feeding fish.) Petty loves to eat them, an albino frog, “Fred,’ an algae eater, “Goldieâ€Â
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

ntroche wrote:

Llumac1 what kind of tropical fish do you have in the tank? Anything colorful?

Actually yes they are colorful. They are called Tiger Barbs. They have black stripes with red on the ends of their fins. We bought three because they stay in schools of at least three. They are more expensive, and it was a risk we took when we bought them, but weve had them for a while and I think they add to the tank. Also they are semi agressive, which only means they will fin nip other fish, but they aren\'t bad.

here is what they look like.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile20.html
mafianick
Level 1
Level 1

our turtle is still a baby, and he LOVES little gold fish
sugarvaulter

mafianick wrote:
our turtle is still a baby, and he LOVES little gold fish
Yes, when we drop the fish in the tank, he attacks them all and goes crazy. Goldfish are his favorite.
  • Information