Help: Red Protrusion from RES\'s anus

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
dweiss

One of our RES\'s has a large red mass hanging out of it\'s anus. We don\'t know what this is. Is this perhaps the turtle\'s sex organ? We have no idea what to do and are quite concerned. The turtle is about one year old. Please help!
deesygirl

This site has some good information on the care sheets. Under First aid, there is information concerning prolapse. I have never had this happen myself. Sound pretty yecky to me. Good luck.
l8or g8or

try this post:

http://www.allturtles.com/msgboard/view ... opicID=514

it sounds like the same thing - possibly a prolapse. You might want to email Alloy and see what they did for their turtle. I do know that everything turned out ok & they did take their turtle to the vet. Let us know -
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Is it a male or female? It is possible it is just a sex organ, if you see any type of mating ritual going on.

Another possibility is paraphinosis, which is when the penis can\'t retract, this is serious, because it might have to amputated. It could also be penile paralysis, when it becomes paralysed. Its unlikely, because its rare, but possible.

But it could be prolapse (the organs or uterus turns out), which is serious in aquatic turtles, if not immediatly taken care of. Be careful around other turtles, because they will bite it. Try to lubricate it (try ky jelly), then try to push it in gently. If this doesn\'t work, wrap your turtle in something moist (making sure this protrusion stays moist) and take him to the vet asap.

Have you seen him eat any gravel? This is a common cause. It could also be stress. Or it could just be mating season.

I hope you figure it out. Good luck!!!!!!!!
AllTurtles
Administrator
Administrator

Check this guide on turtle prolapse https://www.allturtles.com/turtle-prolapse/
  • Information