biting red ear slider

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
spamela

I have had Fred, my son\'s red ear slider, for 2 years now and he has always been very docile. He likes to roam around the house at times and has always liked having his head rubbed.
Recently he has started trying to bite anyone who picks him up. Could there be something bothering him or is this maybe just a phase?
deesygirl

Wow, after 2 years of being a nice guy. Are you sure that no one may have hurt him? I do have one biter, Stew. But he has been that way all along. Sounds strange to me.
spamela

I can\'t think of anything that has been done to him to turn him like that. Although the other week we bought him some shadow shrimp as a special treat & at the same time got a sucker fish to help keep the tank clean. The lady at the pet store told me as long as the fish was bigger than his head he wouldn\'t eat it but he did and the fish was at least 4 inches long. He actually attacked the thing very violently and ate in like 2 seconds flat. Since then he has been biting us! Could that have something to do with it?
deesygirl

Well, I would not buy him any more sucker fish. Even though it sounds as though he liked it. LOL
I feed mine lots of live food, but, honestly, never that big.
It still does not sound right. However, it may have awakened a hunting instinct.
It will be interesting to see what some of the others here think.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

It could be from him maturing. When I got my first turtle he would never even act like he wanted to bite, but after almost a year, he wants to bite everything. He especially does this when you pick him up. George is a little mean butt and he\'s gotten so much more aggressive, but my other turtle is as calm as can be. I think they just develope different personalities, so to speak, as they mature. Not really sure though.
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

I\'d have to agree with different personalities emerging. My turtle turned into a cranky one and she is starting to bite my boyfriend and hissing alot when he picks her up. She doesn\'t like being touched too often. Our male is very docile though and there isn\'t much you can do to make him angry.
  • Information