where do turtles lay eggs?

Here you can direct all your questions about turtle breeding and what to do about those eggs you found that your turtle laid.
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,
we set up a sand fixture in our basking area. Where has everyone else\'s turtles laid their eggs? We just want to make sure we are making this as comfortable as possible for her.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

That\'s were turtles lay eggs in the wild. I\'m sure she wouldn\'t lay them anywere else if it\'s set up good.
Willie
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

Ah, okay, but if we didn\'t have it set up like that, would she just lay them in the water?
My female is very timid around us and doesn\'t really stay ontop of the basking/laying egg area unless we are very quiet around her.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, if she is startled too much or if she didn\'t have the egg laying area, she would lay them in the water.
Willie
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

What does your basking area cosist of? What does it look like? Anyways, if you have sand, dirt, and/or a mosse that would be good. But it needs to be atleast thre/four inches deep. If you know that she if going to lay her eggs soon put so loose soil in a shoe box or a tuperware container and put her in it and see what happens. It never hurts to try.
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

We have the basking area created by using plexi glass and aquarium silicon. On the top, we have thin shale rocks at the edge protruding outwards to make it easier to get up and to give it a nice look(we also have fire belly newts in there and they hide in there). At the back, we bought a large reptile water dish, stole some sand from the beach, cleaned it and put it loosely in it. THere are large river rocks all along the top, covering up holes and making it look a lot better(one day when I have a scanner or access to one, I\'ll post my tank on here).

There are alot of different animals living in this one tank. The two turtles, two newts, a blue gourami fish, a tri-ton shark, and a ton of goldfish, guppies, and 3 plecos/cleaner fishes. Soon we will be adding crayfish and crabs. Everything has been working out really peacefully except for the few goldfish who end up as snacks. It is unbelievable how clean my tank has been since I have added all of these animals.

As for my skiddish female turtle, I\'m hoping she is going to calm down and do things right on her own. I\'m home alot more around her and trying to interact with her more to calm her down. I\'m not sure how long it takes for the whole producing eggs in her process since I am new at all of this breeding stuff but I\'m keeping my eyes open all the time.
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

Awesome! How big is your tank? Your basking area sounds like it looks really cool:D I hope you get a scanner soon. Let us know how the egg laying goes.
  • Information