My RES wont eat!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
jeepin247
Level 1
Level 1

I have had my RES for over a month now. I have been giving him turtle bites and he wont eat them. So I bought a new food, still wont eat. I have tried lettuce, carrots and apples. Anything else I can try that might appeal to my picky eater?
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Try putting some feeder fish in his tank. I just recently got a new turtle and he wouldn\'t eat anything I put in the tank, but he ate fish. I\'m positive he\'ll eat if you put in fish.
Good Luck!:)
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

try freeze dried shrimp and freeze dried bloodworms
jeepin247
Level 1
Level 1

I think I found something that he likes!! CHICKEN!!!!!
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

I bought some krill for my turtles and they\'re
lovin\' it! They don\'t eat any commercial foods either. Is giving them earth worms from
your yard bad? (Bacteria?)
pomika

I had heard on a few websites that it isn\'t good to give them too much chicken or turkey because it is high in protein and they shouldn\'t have a diet high in protein. Go on redearslider.com and check it out. Here is some of what it said under feeding:
Chicken, Turkey, and Tuna: These are all favorites, but should not be used often because the high protein content can cause problems with shell growth. Basically, turtles will grow big very quickly with a high protein diet and the growth rate is just too unnatural. Do not give any of these in the uncooked form. Uncooked meat carries Salmonella and can cause your turtle to also carry Salmonella.
  • Information