what kind of turtle am I

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
nicko
Level 1
Level 1

I live on the gulf of mexico and I found what I thought was a slider(size of a 1/2 dollar) on the beach after a rainstorm. He is now 6 mnths old and he looks less like a slider. He is getting pronounced ridges on his back and dark olive oval markings too but no yellow or green circle inside of the olive rings common to the sawback. He has a bright orange bellie and yellow stripes on the sides of his head and feet. The ring around his shell is now getting ridges and not smooth. His fav food is snails!! He is a real pig and eats all the time, Oh yea his name is dominic!
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

With the stripes in the side of the head I\'d say it\'s a painted turtle, and because it looked like a RES when it was little. It\'s probibly a painted turtle!! ;)
Willie
nicko
Level 1
Level 1

willie,
We are hoping this is the case. If Dom is a sawback or map he is endangered in this state and we would have to let him go! Lets hope the ridges on his back do not get any more pronounced or defined. We are to attached to Him already!
thanks, Nicko
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Don\'t be worried about the map turtle, painter\'s and maps don\'t really look a like. As for the sawback, never seen those, sorry. Willie
  • Information