What Kind Of Turtle Do I Have??

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
Ebhotchick30

I have had my turtle for over a year now. The bottom of my turtles shell is A Tanish yellow color with green markings on the bottom. It has webbed feet. and the sides of it\'s head are a redish orange, I am assuming that those are the ears. Please help! Thanks
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

If it\'s ears are a orangeish redish color it\'s more than likely a Redear Slider.
Lynnette
Level 1
Level 1

Ibanezkid wrote:
If it\'s ears are a orangeish redish color it\'s more than likely a Redear Slider.
What\'s a fire bellie?
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

Lynnette wrote:
Ibanezkid wrote:
What\'s a fire bellie?
I have firebellie newts and frogs. It\'s not any kind of turtle.
Lynnette
Level 1
Level 1

Ibanezkid wrote:
Lynnette wrote:
Ibanezkid wrote:
What\'s a fire bellie?
I have firebellie newts and frogs. It\'s not any kind of turtle.
OK, I\'m just learning, so what is a firebellie newt?
ginag

Hi-
My son and I went to a local county fair. We bought 3 small green turtles, about 1 1/2 inches long each, from a vendor. He said that he was not allowed to sell them at the fair for health reasons and that he kept them in his car. They were not in water and he told us that they didn\'t like water. They have yellow markings around their shells and yellow on their faces. I am worried that we are not taking proper care of them and would love to know just what kind they are and the proper care.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

ginag wrote:
Hi-
My son and I went to a local county fair. We bought 3 small green turtles, about 1 1/2 inches long each, from a vendor. He said that he was not allowed to sell them at the fair for health reasons and that he kept them in his car. They were not in water and he told us that they didn\'t like water. They have yellow markings around their shells and yellow on their faces. I am worried that we are not taking proper care of them and would love to know just what kind they are and the proper care.

I\'m sorry to say but he had them in his car because they are illegal to sell under 4\", not because of health reasons. Sounds kind of shady to me. Anyway, is their whole face yellow, or just stripes? Do they have any markings on their face, maybe a red stripe? Do they have any other colors on their bodies? Sorry to ask so many questions, but you need to figure out asap what those turtles are, so you can care for them. Try looking at pictures on these sites to see if anything looks similar. Good Luck!

http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/turtle/turtlepage.htm
http://www.wildlifemanagement.info/rept ... cation.htm
ginag

Thanks for replying so quickly. I took a good look at them. They have yellow stripes on their faces and what appears to be a brown stripe on each side of their face. I did look at the pictures and none of them fit quite right. They look a little like a slider, but since they are so small it was hard to tell. One stays in the water and eats well(lettuce and turtle food. The other 2 have buried themselves in the gravel above the water and are not moving a lot. Also, they appear to have claws and their shells are flatter than the photos of the sliders shown. Again this could be because they are so small. Thanks for any help.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

If its a Red eared slider, they can have varied colors of stripes on there ears. It can be more of an orange, bright red, dark red, or a dull red. I don\'t think they have a picture of an RES on the second site. Look on the first one. Its a juvenile, but I beleive it is older than what yours is, so if they vary slightly it could still be what it is. Mine was bright green, and looked different from what he looks now when I first got him. He was about 1\". I\'m not saying thats what it is, but its sounds like it might be. Do they have webbed feet? If so they are definetly aquatic, and you can narrow it down from there. Most common are map, sliders, painted and cooters. It sounds like you already have them in water. Are they swimming well? Do you have an aquarium, and is is set up with lights, heaters etc?
ginag

lulumac1 wrote:
If its a Red eared slider, they can have varied colors of stripes on there ears. It can be more of an orange, bright red, dark red, or a dull red. I don\'t think they have a picture of an RES on the second site. Look on the first one. Its a juvenile, but I beleive it is older than what yours is, so if they vary slightly it could still be what it is. Mine was bright green, and looked different from what he looks now when I first got him. He was about 1\". I\'m not saying thats what it is, but its sounds like it might be. Do they have webbed feet? If so they are definetly aquatic, and you can narrow it down from there. Most common are map, sliders, painted and cooters. It sounds like you already have them in water. Are they swimming well? Do you have an aquarium, and is is set up with lights, heaters etc?
I have checked their little feet and see only claws. One is staying in the water and the other 2 have burrowed in the gravel and appear to be sleeping. However, they do and have been swimming. I have a 5 gal aquarium and a section of water and a section of gravel where they can get out of the water. I have a light but no heater. They are a dark green color, yellow striped bellies, some yellow stripes on the face and brown stripes where the ears would be. They are really cute but so small!
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Aquatic have webbed feet, but they also have claws, on males they can become very long. If they look like they have no problem swimming then I\'m sure thats what they are.

Let me post this as a new post, and in another section, maybe someone can determine what it is. I\'m not for certain and I don\'t want to tell you wrong. Also can you post a picture, or at least maybe email me one, if I could see what they look like I think I could figure it out. Let me know.:)
  • Information