male RES problems!

Discussions about turtles.
TFF01KV
Level 2
Level 2

I finally figured out that the turtle I thought was laying eggs is really a male. So obviously they weren\'t eggs! But now I\'m very conserned since his tail is larger than normal. I thought it was eggs that he was laying but now I don\'t know what they were. They were black and rounded,but not smooth they were all odd shaped. Does anyone know whats going on? Do I need to see a vet?
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

Not sure, gravel maybe?
TFF01KV
Level 2
Level 2

It can\'t be gravel, I don\'t think. I took all the gravel out a couple weeks ago.
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

they could have ingested gravel and then came out with his or her waste.send me a pic of her from 7 angles if you can and i will sex it for you.my email address is [email protected]
my site has a message board
www.geocities.com/globalturtles
l8or g8or

Joe hasn\'t had gravel in her tank for months now, and I am still finding some when I clean her tank. I know it\'s gravel because she only has river rocks in there. I think the peices that I don\'t find, she\'s re-eating them!!
deesygirl

It does sound like gravel. RES will often eat and defecate large amounts of gravel. Some people put limestone (crushed) into the tank as it supplies extra calcium. I let mine eat the gravel as our old vet always said that it helps with digestion. I have heard many differing opinions, I really don\'t know if it makes a difference. I do know that turtles do eat small gravel and dirt in the wild. I would not worry about it much.
  • Information