turtle dying HELP ASAP

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Jeany
Level 1
Level 1

I have 4 little RES, and today one was floating on top of the water. He seemed listless, and then I thought he was dead! I kept him in my hand and petted him and all of a sudden, he opened his mouth real wide and moved a bit. This went on in intervals of l5 min. Now I put him in a tupperware bowl with a damp paper towell and put the basking light on him to warm him. He is alittle more lively now and moving a bit more. But he wants to bury himself under the paper towell, so I pushed it back for him. He seems weak. Is he going to live and what is wrong with him? What should I do RIGHT NOW for him. I cant take him to a vet yet, but should I put him in or out of water and should I keep him warm or cool? I need to know ASAP PLEASE HELP ASAP
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

What does he eat? Does he have a vitanmin supliment? How big is the tank? How often do you clean it? How big is your filter? Does he have a UVB light in his house? When did this start to heppen? How big is your basking area? Can he fit on it when the other 3 are on? Are the other three being agreesive towds him? If most of these are negitive answeres, I would try to change them soon! Let him do what he wants with his paper towl. I hope you can keep him healthy!!! GOOD LUCK!!! BEST WISHES! HOPE I DIDN\"T OVERWELM YOU WITH QUESTIONS! LOL!!
Willie
Jeany
Level 1
Level 1

Willie wrote:
What does he eat? Does he have a vitanmin supliment? How big is the tank? How often do you clean it? How big is your filter? Does he have a UVB light in his house? When did this start to heppen? How big is your basking area? Can he fit on it when the other 3 are on? Are the other three being agreesive towds him? If most of these are negitive answeres, I would try to change them soon! Let him do what he wants with his paper towl. I hope you can keep him healthy!!! GOOD LUCK!!! BEST WISHES! HOPE I DIDN\"T OVERWELM YOU WITH QUESTIONS! LOL!!
Willie
Jeany
Level 1
Level 1

Willie: Yes to all of the above. He just seemed to be the least aggressive of all. Now that I have him in this warm bowl with a light over him, he is much more awake. What do I do next? Do I keep him OUT of water and how long? And how do I offer food? His eyes look a little swollen to me, but Im not totally sure. Help again please...
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

I would put him in his own tank with water or anything that would work like a tank for now, put a light over him and keep the water kinda warm. Ofer him a verity of things, I would stick to mostly live things. See how that works. Keep him in this \"Intenseve Care Unit\" untill he seems mor livly and happy and is eating. Good Luck!
Willie
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

As for the swollen eye, I don\'t know what that may be????? Sorry about that!
Willie
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

How\'s it doing?????? :)
Willie
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

You might want to take a look at this site to see if anything looks familiar on your turtle. Sometimes its better to leave them out of the water to care for them except for 30 minute baths (especially with other turtles as they might pick on a weak turtle). You need to keep him warm. This site should also help if he has swollen eyes.

http://www.resoasis.austinsturtlepage.com/illness.htm

Hope he does ok:)
  • Information