Is it a boy or girl?

Discussions about turtles.
ssewl
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!
I\'ve had a turtle for 17 years and I don\'t know if it\'s a boy or girl. How can I tell?

I know that it\'s a red ear slider about 5 inches wide and 7 inches long, maybe bigger.

How can I tell how old it is since I have had it for 17 years. My students want to know these answers and so do I.

He has lived alone in a tank since it was a baby and they want me now to get it a \"friend\".
Quite frankly, I don\'t know if \"Jeffrey wants a \"friend\" Maybe he will eat them. Please HELP!!

Thanks,
SSEWL
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Here are the ways to determine the sex:
1. The front claws are fairly long on a male.
2. The tail on a male is longer
3. The vent on a male is further out past the plastrone, and on a female it is lined up with or further in towards the body.
4. The plastrone on a male will be flat or more concave, and the female\'s plastrone will be more convex.

As far as putting a friend in the tank, make sure its not much smaller than he is, otherwise he might pick on it. If you buy one at the pet store it should be ok, since they cant sale them under four inches. I just bought one that is five inches. If you don\'t want hatchlings make sure its the same sex. He might take some time to get used to another turtle since he\'s been by himself for so long. If you do get one, keep an eye on them, and if there is any problem try to introduce them slowly to each other. Also as far as feeding them together, you might have problems, they will become more aggressive sometimes when it comes to food. Just be carefull and make sure to watch them closely. Also for such a large turtle, if you were to get another one, you would have to make sure you have plenty of room for both of them.

Hope that helps you out a bit.:)
ssewl
Level 1
Level 1

To The Proud Owner of George and Mingo,
Thanks for the reply and GREAT! information.
I now feel confident enough to go into my class tomorrow and teach a lesson on my turtle\'s sexual characteristics, his required living space and many more notations that you so generously pointed out.

I did notice that \"His \" front claws are remarkably long.
His back legs however, appear to be webbed. Why is that? The photos that I viewed on line all show a red ear slider with front and back claws, not webbed or connected back feet. Is this normal? Or is it possible that he is not a red ear slider?
( He has two red markings on the sides of his head?)
Once again, Thanks for the help

Owner of \"Jeffrey\"
ssewl
Level 1
Level 1

To The Proud Owner of George and Mingo,
Thanks for the reply and GREAT! information.
I now feel confident enough to go into my class tomorrow and teach a lesson on my turtle\'s sexual characteristics, his required living space and many more notations that you so generously pointed out.

I did notice that \"His \" front claws are remarkably long.
His back legs however, appear to be webbed. Why is that? The photos that I viewed on line all show a red ear slider with front and back claws, not webbed or connected back feet. Is this normal? Or is it possible that he is not a red ear slider?
( He has two red markings on the sides of his head?)
Once again, Thanks for the help

Owner of \"Jeffrey\"
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Res should have webbed feet because they are semi aquatic. They also have claws on the front and back legs. Are you saying he has no back claws? My turtles have huge back feet that are webbed with claws.
I\'m sure he\'s an res. Does he have any other markings other than the red markings? If not he is an res.
ssewl
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Owner of George and Ringo,
Yes Jeffrey does have claws within those big back feet. There are also no other markings that I have noticed.
Another question that I have is about a round \"cocoon like\" object that I sporatically have noticed floating in the tank on some occasions.
Does he clean out his system by way of regurgitation? or is that a sign that I may have over fed him?
Thanks again for your help.

Jeffrey\'s mom
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I am not sure what the object is. I have never heard of any sort of regurgitation like that. How much do you feed him? Have you seen him regurgitate it, or does he excrete it? It could possibly be something else in the tank, such as a bacteria, or fungus. Maybe somebody else on the message board might know.
Anybody?
ssewl
Level 1
Level 1

lulumac1 wrote:
I am not sure what the object is. I have never heard of any sort of regurgitation like that. How much do you feed him? Have you seen him regurgitate it, or does he excrete it? It could possibly be something else in the tank, such as a bacteria, or fungus. Maybe somebody else on the message board might know.
Anybody?
ssewl
Level 1
Level 1

Last edited by ssewl on Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

By the way, did you ever decide to get a friend for Jeffrey? Just curious.
Last edited by lulumac1 on Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ssewl
Level 1
Level 1

I haven\'t gotten a friend for him yet. He really is huge and the thought of having to clean a glass tank that would accomodate both of them is scary.

As I\'m sure you know, they can be quite smelly. My classroom sink does not have a fully opened drain, so the \"Stuff\" gets stuck. Who do you think would have to clean it out? Yep, me of course and that is not fun!

I think I will get another 2 small ones and put them in plastic tanks of their own. This way, the kids can lift and clean it themselves without glass possibly breaking.

Looking forward to talking to you again

Jeffrey\'s Mom
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Sounds good. Just make sure they have plenty of room to move around. The smallest you\'ll be able to get is 4 inches, since they are illegal under that size. I think its good your kids are involved. They must be very responsible to get to help out.

They sell hoses that act like a vacuum to suck out the water. I don\'t know if your kids would be able to use it, but its very handy. That way you don\'t have to move the tank. I use this on my tank, because there is no other way to clean it. So I empty about 1/4 the water, sucking out stuff in the rocks, about once a week. Then 1/2 every other week, and a full clean about once a month. Its a never ending battle as I\'m sure you know. I can\'t imagine having George and Ringo for another 15 to 20 years. Its really neat that you\'ve had Jeffrey for so long.:)

Hope to hear from you soon.:)
  • Information