ear abscess..HELP!!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

Last edited by Heather on Sun Sep 22, 2002 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

Well I took Skyler to the vet and had his abscesses removed!!The doc gave me alot of info on the turt and said that he will be good as new in a few days.....Thanks
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

What is an ear abcess, and what does it look like, so I\'ll know just in case. I\'ve never heard of it before.
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

Sorry That I never got back to answer your question earlier..Anyway an ear abscess are hard pinkish /white bumps on the sides of the turts neck..you will know it when you see it!!It scared me to death I thought something was really wrong w/him..the bumps are filled w/hardened puss that does not drain.I had to get them cut and removed!!!Then w/ some anti bodies and alot of TLC he is copletely healed!!!Thank God~~~
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Glad to hear your turt is better. Absesses grow every once in a while, but I don\'t know what causes it. Often it can be easily removed, depending on the severity.

Cheers,
JJ
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

Turtles have ears? How well can they hear? I\'m pretty worried now because I talk in my sleep...will I keep them awake at night? I know I keep everyone else awake...:p
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, turtles have ears, but you can\'t see them. If you have a red eared slider...the eardrums, i think, are on the red...but i\'m not sure about this.
They can\'t hear too well...and most ppl think that they can\'t hear at all. That\'s untrue because they can hear more low based sounds. You should see how my turtles respond when my boyfriend talks to them. They definately notice because they stick their head out as far as they can and turn it to the side to listen to him since he has a very low voice.
deesygirl

Ear abcesses are usually caused by a bacteria in the turtles enviroment. Our local expert suggests that the tank be cleaned and to make sure you have a good filter. Make sure you clean the filter out as well.
As for the ears of a RES. If you look closely at the red bands you will see a small round circle under them. This is actually skin that covers the ear opening. Turtles have excellent hearing.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Yeah turtles have ears, but they are under the skin. They don\'t hear too well, but they hear more vibratons. Thats why you can\'t sneak up them. Its like a muffled sound to them, just like if you had something covering your ears. I think they are under where the red is also MishFish.
  • Information