When do they start to learn to float?

Discussions about turtles.
ownerofjekyllandhyde
Level 1
Level 1

I have two baby RES (one about 3\" and one about 2\" -- my aunt got them for me at a flea market in SC not knowing at the time that they are illegal), and right now I only have them in a few inches of water, because that\'s what I was told to do for them. However, I\'ve been reading a lot that turtles eventually learn to float and that they end up being happier with more water in their cage. If so, when should I give them more water? How much water should I put in their cage? And do they just naturally know how to float?

At present, I have enough water in the cage where the water can completely cover the very top arch of their shells, but little enough water so that they can touch the bottom of the cage and stick their snouts (noses?) out of the water to breathe.

Thanks for any help you can give me! :)
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Please put more water in their tank. They are natural swimmers, so you will have no problem if you have more water. Make sure they at least have enough water so that they can only touch the bottom with their back legs. If not, and they happen to flip themselves over, and cant turn over, they can drown. I have a 30 gallon tank and it is more than half filled with water. My turtle is only a little under 4 inches. I think you should definetly put more water in.

Hope that helps you out.:)
TFF01KV
Level 2
Level 2

Yeah, I also agree that you should put more water in the tank. Try filling it half full and make a gradual slope out of large stones or whatever else you may think of that will do the job. You will see the turtles enjoy swimming around and basking on the rocks when their tired. I got my 2 RES at about the same size as yours and thats how I started out, then added more water and a floating basking area when they seemed to get the hang of their new environment.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, please put water in, they float right when they\'re born. And make sure they have somewhere to go to rest, so that they don\'t have to swim or float to breathe.
Willie
  • Information