PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
greatgondi
Level 2
Level 2

I need serious help with my baby 1\" RES! Two weeks ago he managed to escape from his tank. He has been missing for that amount of time with no food or water. Yesterday I found him in a plastic bag, seemingly suffocated because he was stiff and showed no signs of life. I went to bury him today and as I was filling the hole back up with sand HE CRAWLED OUT!!!! It\'s the craziest thing I\'ve ever seen! Now he\'s back in his tank swimming around like he normally would, but he hasn\'t touched his food at all...I would think he would be ravenous after not eating for such an extensive amount of time. I was told that he\'s probably not going to live very long now b/c of the trauma. Can anyone give me some advice?? This is the most unique pet situation I have ever been in and I\'m very fond of the lil\' guy (Frodo is his name). Thank you!!!!!!!
greatgondi
Level 2
Level 2

Also, he never seems to want to bask. He always sleeps in the water but he never crawls out of the water. He was that way before he \"ran away from home\" as well.
tsadek
Level 1
Level 1

It sounds to me that your RES went into hibernation while he was out of his tank. I would give him a couple of days for him to get use to being in his tank again, when I first got mine they would not eat at all for a few days either. I think he will be okay, just keep a watch over him. Also, my RES does not seem to want to bask either, he stays in the water alot also, and mine is okay.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I think tsadek is right about your turtle, but I have to say thats the craziest story I have ever heard. I can\'t emagine what I would have done seeing a seemingly dead turtle craw out of that hole.:O

By the way hope he gets better. If not maybe you should consult a vet, because turtles hibernating can be very tricky, especially if he was hibernating, and came out of it so fast.
  • Information