Baby Turtle Skin Peeling Help Please!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
ChiNNutZ

I just recently purchased a new red ear slider about a 2 weeks ago. This turtle was the most fearless turtle I had ever seen. I have 5 other turtles, all about 6 times as big as my new one and they all flee off their basking area whenever I open the top cover of the tank to feed them. The baby turtle is the only one that stays and it\'s awesome how it just sits there and stares at me.

Anyways, over the last 3 days, Viper\'s (name of the baby turtle) skin has a horrible look to it. It looks like a combination of both fungus and dead skin. It is on all four legs, its neck, and its tail. Viper\'s attitude has also changed. Its movements are very sluggish, and sometimes it will float in the water and remain motionless for very long periods of time. It is also eating much less than what it used to. Viper looks so sad and I think its dying =(. I am wondering if the other turtles are harassing it and biting at its legs and if maybe those are wounds rather than the skin peeling. However, if thats the case, I would think that Viper wouldn\'t have its legs anymore because those larger turtles can really chomp.

The water is cleaned every two weeks, the temperature is kept at 80F via heater, and an external Aqua-tech filter keeps 30 gallons of water clear. I also just recently dropped 2 sufler tablets to see if would help Viper\'s condition but it does not seem to be helping at all.

I was wondering if I should try to brush off the skin and see if there is healthy skin underneath, or would that cause damage to Viper? I am probably going to be relocating Viper to a new tank as well just to see if it is the other turtles that are causing the damage.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.
Boogie
Level 2
Level 2

I would suggest isolating Viper, it sounds like the other turtles are bullying the little one.
I think they have medicine/lotion to help it heal.
ChiNNutZ

Thanks for the help Bookie. I went out today and bought a 10 gallon tank and two new yellow cooters. I am not quite sure if putting the heater in this small of a tank would be a good idea, so I am just going to play it by ear. It looks like Viper is very cold because it keeps strectching its neck out. I was wondering if I should just leave the basking light on 24 hours a day to keep it warm, but that might just fry him to much. What does everyone think?

Also, what does salmonela look like? Are there visable signs that turtles exhibit, or do they just carry it?
ChiNNutZ

Hmm, I just thought of something. Viper loves to bask, maybe even to much. Could its skin condition because of to much basking?
Boogie
Level 2
Level 2

I\'ve heard that turtles can get burned from too much basking. Normally, a turtle will return to cool off in the water if it\'s too warm, but some might stay under the lamp a bit too long.
Did you consider that your turtle might be shedding skin naturally, it happens a lot.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, I thought I might make a suggestion. Turtles do shed from time to time, he might just be shedding, but if you think its too much then there might be a few things to do. Do you have a uvb light???? They\'re essential to their shell and skin. You should try calcium tablets, or cutle bone which also helps them absorb the vitamin D (i believe thats the vitamin), from the uvb light. Also if I were you I wouldn\'t leave the basking light on all the time, that is too much light. I used to have a 10 gallon aquarium, and you can buy a 10 gallon heater, I don\'t think its too expensive. If not he might go into hibernation. See if that helps, and if it is consitant, I would consult a vet. The other turtles might also have been bothering him. If you want him in the same tank, I read you should introduce a new turtle slowly. Also, what do you feed him????

Hope Vipor gets better!!:)
ChiNNutZ

Thanks for the help guys.

This morning was a very sad morning. I buried Viper =(.

My conclusion is that he was abused by the other turtles... I had noticed before that one of its nails was missing from its foot and it was probably bittin off. Very sad day =(.

Thanks again for trying to help.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I\'m so sorry to hear that.:~(
I\'m sure he\'ll be greatly missed.
Sorry we couldn\'t be of more help!!
  • Information