baby red ear slider\'s health

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Crystal

Hi, I just got a turtle a week ago at a street fair in NY,I did a search online and compaired him to some pics and he looks like a baby res,since I got him home he hasn\'t eaten at all I put pellets, carrot slices,apple slices, romane lettus,and he couldn\'t be less interested.On top of all this he keeps burying him self in the dirt in his tank.If i didn\'t keep un burying him to try and get him to just look at the food to see it\'s there he would probably stay buried. I tryed leaveing him alone for two days and he didn\'t unbury him self through out that entire time.Is this normal?I\'ve called up every vet in my area and their practise don\'t include turtles.Any information that any one could provide I\'d be greatful for. The last turtle I had was 14yrs ago and he was full grown when we got him,so you can see I\'m very rusty in this area.
eeee

Hi, I am no expert either, but I did have an older turtle do that and I didn\'t have the tank warm enough for her, once I got it figured out all was well!
Boogie
Level 2
Level 2

Baby turtles need time to adjust to their new surroundings.
Leave your RES alone for a while and once it feels comfortable it will emerge on its own to eat. And leave more meat (mine loves bits of cooked chicken) in the tank, it won\'t be very interested in veggies.
leonardo

hi, i also live in NY area. today i took my turtle to a vet in queens to give her an exam. cos my turtle stop eating for a week. i was refered by a friend. the vet is very professional. u might want to give a try. it cost me $45 to exam the turtle. the hospital is called \" Lefferts Animal Hospital\". phone #718.849.3000. look for \"Dr. Helperm\". i am not an turtle expert,but i found out one of the reason turtles r not eating is the water might be too cold. i have a temerture in my tank. i always try to keep the water around 80 degrees.
Sparkels580
Level 1
Level 1

Question: DO you have a heat lamp. If you dont and your house is air condtioned them maby he is trying to hibernate. Also trying giving him feeder fish, really tiny ones. Baby turtles are more carnivoris then older ones. just toss 2/3 fish in there and see if they \"go missing\" after a few days.
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

If your turtle is tryin to bury itself under whatever this may be a sign that the water is very cool and perhaps the turtle is trying to hibernate or something of the sort. Just try and raise your water temperature.
  • Information