how do RES react with Koi?

Discussions about turtles.
Creative Pond

I live in Arizona and my landscaper just brought me two Red Ear turtles, both about 10 inches long, that were going to be thrown in the canel. He brought them to me because we have a pond in which he thought they could live. This pond is roughly 600 gallons, with a cement bottom. It\'s meant for Koi. We currently have 4 maturing Koi as well as about 10 goldfish, suckers, and snails. I just learned these types of turtles are very aggressive and extremely carnivorous. Any thoughts on letting the RES live in the pond with our Koi?
human177
Level 3
Level 3

Yay! Koi are those big Japanese buggers, right? well, I honestly don\'t know, guess it\'ll be possible if your pond is large enough
Boogie
Level 2
Level 2

Theoretically, the RES won\'t eat your other animals since they seem to be full grown turtles, meaning they\'re no longer carniverous.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I think the RES will still be somewhat carnivorous, but not as much since they are mature. I don\'t know anything about Koi, but if your fish are larger, they should be ok. I think they\'ll most likely go after something smaller if at all. Also if the area is large enough the fish should have room to escape.

By the way, my turtle is only almost 4 inches, and he lives in a 30 gallon tank. He is still very carnivorous, but he wont eat this one goldfish that we have had forever. Its seems as though he got used to him and no longer considers him food. I don\'t know if all RES do the same, but he is beginning to do the same thing with other fish we put in. He\'s starting to loose interest in them. Just an observation.

I would think its worth a try if the area is large enough, which it sounds like it is, and your not too attatched to the fish, just in case (turtles are unpredictable).

Hope that helps a little!!:)
Boogie
Level 2
Level 2

...but your snails may not be safe :)
goop
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 10 inch RES, and she will eat anything I put in her tank. If the Koi are close to the same size of the turtles,(at least 7-8 inches I would guess), I think they would be ok. As far the other gold fish, if they are small, they will be lunch.
goop
Level 1
Level 1

...and yes, your snails would be toast.
nicko
Level 1
Level 1

When I was younger my mom had a decorative pond with koi. My older brothers put som RES in they had caught. Mom was mad because she was afraid of bacteria from the wild tutles to her controlled inviroment but the turtles never botherd her koi.They even stayed out of the kois way at feeding time. SHe said the turtles were happy with the floating food sticks. Nicko
  • Information