leaving a slider outside in the winter

Post any questions you have about a turtle outdoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your outdoor setup picture we would love to see it.
blitz1952
Level 1
Level 1

please help before it gets too cold . i live in union cty nj and have a 2200 gal pond w/a waterfall which i run all winter. i recently added a baby red earred slider & it seems to be doing well eating the fish pellets (i can\'t figure out how to give it anything else ). however my big concern at present is if i can leave it (i don\"t know the sex) out in my pond & if so do i set up any special habitat for protection?????
blitz1952
Level 1
Level 1

blitz1952 wrote:
please help before it gets too cold . i live in union cty nj and have a 2200 gal pond w/a waterfall which i run all winter. i recently added a baby red earred slider & it seems to be doing well eating the fish pellets (i can\'t figure out how to give it anything else ). however my big concern at present is if i can leave it (i don\"t know the sex) out in my pond & if so do i set up any special habitat for protection?????
blitz1952
Level 1
Level 1

blitz1952 wrote:
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

That\'s huge! It must be heaven for the little guy! If you do leave him out all winter just make sure you have a heater in your pond or at least make sure it stays a decent temp. What else is in the pond and is there anything around it?
blitz1952
Level 1
Level 1

Ibanezkid wrote:
That\'s huge! It must be heaven for the little guy! If you do leave him out all winter just make sure you have a heater in your pond or at least make sure it stays a decent temp. What else is in the pond and is there anything around it?
blitz1952
Level 1
Level 1

blitz1952 wrote:
Ibanezkid wrote:
blitz1952
Level 1
Level 1

blitz1952 wrote:
blitz1952 wrote:
Ibanezkid wrote:
blitz1952
Level 1
Level 1

blitz1952 wrote:
blitz1952 wrote:
Ibanezkid wrote:
blitz1952
Level 1
Level 1

ibanezkid txs for your reply besides the baby slider ther are about 20 various fish (not koi) , 3 frogs , tadpoles, a few snils & mussels , 1 crayfish lots of plants and hiding places. from what i\'\'m rading it seems like i need to put sediment in the bottom for the turtle to hibernate. it sounds too complicated so i think i\'ll bring it in. my next ?: can i put it in a combo setup terrium/aquarium where i have 2 firebelly toads or will their secretions kill the turtle? talk to u soon blitz
eleman88

blitz1952 wrote:
blitz1952 wrote:
eleman88

blitz1952 wrote:
blitz1952 wrote:
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

blitz1952 wrote:
ibanezkid txs for your reply besides the baby slider ther are about 20 various fish (not koi) , 3 frogs , tadpoles, a few snils & mussels , 1 crayfish lots of plants and hiding places. from what i\'\'m rading it seems like i need to put sediment in the bottom for the turtle to hibernate. it sounds too complicated so i think i\'ll bring it in. my next ?: can i put it in a combo setup terrium/aquarium where i have 2 firebelly toads or will their secretions kill the turtle? talk to u soon blitz

I\'ve heard alot of people saying that you shouldn\'t put turtles with frogs and newts but I did that a while before I found this site and they all seem to be doing great. If you do end up putting them all together make sure that the frogs nad newts have a place to get away from the turtle just in case. Oh ya one more thing, I don\'t think that the secretions will hurt the turtle just as long as you have a good filter in the tank. Hope it all works out! Later
Mike
  • Information