Basking Area?

Discussions about turtles.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Hi everyone. I was just curious what everyone has used for basking areas. I\'m modifying my aquarium a bit, and I\'m going to add a new basking spot so that George can have more room to swim. I\'m tired of having rocks stacked up. I was wondering if anyone has used a glass shelf. I saw a set up that is in place with 100% silicone, and I liked it, but I don\'t know if it is sturdy, and if it will stay, especially if I place rocks on it. I also saw a plastic corner shelf that had sucsion cups (bad speller), which looked easier to install, but again I don\'t know how well it stays. I\'ve seen floating islands, and cork, and other nice set ups, and just wanted to know what some of you guys have used, and what seems to work best. Thanks!!!:)
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

Right now I have real drift wood and a fake piece of drift wood. When I finsh my new tank I want it to have a plexie glass shelf type basking area.
human177
Level 3
Level 3

here\'s a nice idea for you if you want to go for glass: http://members.tripod.com/~Draybar/55gallon.html
l8or g8or

trust me... it\'s sturdy. I had sandstone piled very high to make a waterfall in Joe\'s tank. Just make sure you put it on the top and the bottom of the piece of plexiglass.

See pictures of Joe\'s basking area, and also read about silicone in \"who\'s ripping me off & why\"

http://usa.internations.net/pets/joemama/joe_mama.html
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I finally got my turtle his new setup. I was going to go for the glass shelf, but I finally decided to go with the cork wood. I liked the one on human177\'s website (55 gallon three, I think). It was very easy to put in and it looks great.

I have to tell you guys how much a hassel we had though. First of all, when we emptied the water out of the tank and into the sink with one of those hoses, I find out there is a leak in the sink and its all pouring out under it, about 2-3 inches worth. So we call maintenance, and of course they can\'t come. ERR!! Then we clean the tank with hot water to kill these parasites we had and the glass cracks. So we have to get another one. So then we decide to go get another tank before the store closes. We finally find one (expensive) 2 minutes before they close. Whew! :p So we had left George in a stirophome container while we were gone. It was about a foot deep, sounds safe right. Well the little Hudidni escaped :O and it took us 30 minutes to find him, destroying the apartment in the prosess. He found his way to a box we had in a corner clear across the room. How he got out I will never know??? And its a good thing our dog was in his crate, otherwise there would be no more Hudini.

Of course, after all that it was a piece of cake.:eyes
TFF01KV
Level 2
Level 2

I have floating cork now the only problem is it seems to grow algea on it. I\'m in the process of getting a new tank 55 gal. and I want to do the plexiglass thing cause I think it would be easier to keep clean.So please let us know how yours turned out if thats what you decided to do. I had the one that suctioned to the side of the tank also but I didn\'t care for that one to much.
  • Information