Making a tank?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,
I\'m in dire need of making a tank soon. My turtles grew way too fast and now I have to get a new tank soon. We already have a 20 gallon tank but it\'s not enough for both of them.
I was just wondering if anybody has built their own tank. How do you do it? What materials would I need? Or even if someone has a layout of what they did, it would be extremely helpful.
Thanks
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

You can try a 55 gallon tank, you will need:

Recommended Items:

River Rocks
Background
Submersible Heater
Heat Lamp
Repti-Sun Fluorescent Light Fixture
Thermometer
Basking Platform of some sort
Screen Cover
Fluval filter recommended

Food:
Repto-Min
Baby Shrimp
Bloodworms
Romaine Lettuce
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, thanks for the help. We have decided to make an 87 gallon tank for our turtles. We have already designed but still have to price plexi-glass and glass...does anyone know which one will be cheaper or better yet, more sturdy??
As for on top of the tank....what did every one use to cover the top...I\'m not sure where we are going to find a light fixture that will fit on top of this tank. We want it to be half open to put the uv light setup overtop...but we need to cover it with something so they don\'t \'get out\'.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

We are going to make a cover for our tank, since I only want half of it covered as well. We were thinking about cutting plywood to fit. We\'d put a strip of wood across the width, in the middle of the tank, and set the plywood on top. Then we are going to mount the light fixture underneath. Actually the fixture that we have is for a black light. We put the uvb light in and it worked. We have it clamped on the tank for now, but hopefully this weekend we can mount it under the plywood. It already has holes on the top of it, so all we have to do is put screws in. I\'ve also seen light fixtures that look almost the same at the pet store.

As for glass, I don\'t know much about that. But I have heard it should be able to withstand the pressure. My boyfriend was telling me about this glass, I cant remember the name, but it has these microscopic cuts in it so that it cracks, and chips, but doesn\'t shatter. Its the same kind of glass in your windshield. I don\'t know if plexiglass is sturdy enough, and doesn\'t it scratch? Like I said I don\'t know much about it, but I thought I\'d share the little I did know.:)

Let us know what you decide!!!:D

you can get plexiglass that is up to 100x stronger then glass. Go to Loew\'s or Home Depot or whatever is in your area, and ask someone. The difference in price is not huge, and it\'s worth it.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

I have a 30 gallon low tank for one turtle, and just a floating island for him. It gives him room to swim under it too. It is not the prettiest setup, but it is easy to clean. You can purchase one from most local pet stores for under $10. Snoopy is totally content basking on it, and it allowed me to spend the money on getting a better filter and UV lamp.
Daman
Level 1
Level 1

I priced having glass cut for a custom tank and found that it wasn\'t economicaly very advantageous. The glass dealer explained to me that the thickness of glass varies and that you need to know know the total volume to decide on the thickness. The epoxy, frame and risk did not warrant creating a tank on my own. I never priced plexiglass after I found a Long tank that fitted my needs well enough. As for the hood question; I used my old hood from a 20 gallon tank by cutting a frame for it to sit on. This leaves one end mostly covered by the lighted hood and the other end open for a basking lamp. You could try this if you build your own tank.
  • Information