regarding fungus

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
diamond

My daughter just got a baby painted turtle last week. She seems to be doing great, but we notice on the bottom of her shell, it sort of looks like fungus. I have read where you are to give them batadine bath. I tried that, and she wouldn\'t keep her head out of the water, so I felt bad, and took her out, and just put some on the spot. She also seems very unhappy being out of the water. Is this normal? Does anyone know of any websites that has pictures of the white fungus so I can compare? She also doesn\'t like to bask. She just loves staying in the water at all times. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,
go to your local petstore and they will have pills that you can put right into their own swimming water everyday. It\'s usually used for fish but it works perfectly well on turtles too. I wish I could remember the name of the pills. Sorry.
Don\'t really worry about the turtle not basking. My turtle is very shy about doing it with ppl around, she prolly does it when your not around. My one turtle prefers the water when ppl are around. I think it is to just make her feel more secure.
diamond

Thank you for your input, I seen her on her rock this morning, so I guess she is just being shy.
turtleluver43
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My turtle had the same prob, I thought it wa bad for him, but then once he got used to his new surroundings, he got basked alot more.He still doesn\'t like to bask when I\'m in my room, but I think he\'s just partial to privacy.The fungus might be a spot where he\'s shedding, if it doesn\'t get better, call up your local vet, or ask a pet store professional.Hope this helps.
  • Information