Feeder Fish?

Discussions about turtles.
human177
Level 3
Level 3

Lots of people talk about it but my local store doesn\'t know which ones are suitable to be eaten. So what kind of fish are they?
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

I was told to use goldfish, I first used neons then I was told that they were tropical fish and that tropical fish can sometimes be toxic. I\'m not real sure on the subject, the neons didn\'t hurt my turtles so I dunno.
hank

gold fish are the best feeders my to paints love them. my litle on is only 4 inch. no hand feeding they catch them on there on.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

I also would give them some goldfish. As a matter of fact, I buy about 25 at least once a month to feed to them. They are cheap, and they are a good \"snack\" food for the turtles. My turtles gobble them up within a few days. I think the longest that 25 fish have lasted in their tank is about 4 days (2 RES in the tank).
:D
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

how about guppies for baby turtles
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

I have put guppies in with my turtles and they ate about half of them, but now I have a bunch of guppies from them mating. I\'m not sure if they are to fast or what but my turtles don\'t seem very interested at all.
goop
Level 1
Level 1

I also tried guppy\'s with my baby turtle, and I also ended up with twice as many(they\'re too fast). I put regular gold fish in mine, about 1-2 inch feeders,,(it\'s a baby snapper), and he can eat those faster than the guppys.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Try rosy reds. They should be at the pet store. They are smaller than the gold fish. They\'re only 12 cents.
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

Ibanezkid wrote:
I have put guppies in with my turtles and they ate about half of them, but now I have a bunch of guppies from them mating. I\'m not sure if they are to fast or what but my turtles don\'t seem very interested at all.
nicko
Level 1
Level 1

we use the ruby reds (guppies) but I keep them in a separate feeding bowl. And only buy a few at a time. It helps keep my tank cleaner. Dom is to lazy to chase them he will only eat them after they died any way. I read most turtles wont go for the goldfish out of laziness.They are to hard to catch. Unlike the paitent snapper who will lie and wait. Not saying they won\'t,but my friend from the Herp society said RES tend to be more or less scavengers,Than aggressive hunters. He said feeding captive turtles live fish is really unnecessary more a treat for them.Because they get the protien they need from the proper floating sticks
  • Information