lighting question

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
sarky
Level 2
Level 2

I am setting up a tank for my new RES this weekend and I am a little confused about the lighting. I was planning to get both a UVB full-spectrum bulb AND a basking heat lamp. It seems to me that this is what most websites recommend. But some people say the UVB is warm enough for basking. So do I need two separate types of lamp or can one good UVB lamp (Such as ReptiSun 5.0) do both?
sarky
Level 2
Level 2

...also, if I do need both types of lamp, do both need to be on a timed 12-hour cycle?

questions, questions... ;-)
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

You should definetly get the basking lamp as well. It provides the heat they need. I dont beleive the UVB light can provide the sufficient amount of heat. They need enough heat so that their shell can completely dry. This will save you from problems, such as shell rot, in the future.

I turn my lamps on in the morning, and turn them off a little after I get home from work, for a total of 10-12 hours. If you won\'t be home to turn them on and off, then I would suggest that you do get a timer.
Good Luck!:)
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

Yeah I would always use a basking lamp, my Repti-Sun does not get hot at all. I can have it on for 10 hours straight and touch it with my bare hand and not get burned. They just give off the rays, not the heat.
  • Information