Roadside Turtle Stands

Discussions about turtles.

Hey! I live in Orlando, Florida and every now and then I see a guy that sells live turtles out of the back of his truck on the side of the road- I really hate that, since most people probably don\'t know about what they are getting into nor do understand how to care for turtles. My question is....is this legal? Should I report him to someone? Just curious.
Alina
StephanieW31
Level 2
Level 2

Depends on your local animal control regulations I bet. But if they are babies an inch long...then its illegal to sell them. Who knows he could be legit, or he could also be taking them from the wild and selling them illegally. You could always stop with a friend, ask him Qs while your friend jots down the license plate number. If he is doing something illegal you can always call animal control or the ASPCA.
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

Chances are very high that what the guy is doin is perfectly legal. I mean if he was hidden in an alleyway or somethin like that I would be kinda suspicious, but if he is in the open and isn\'t feared of any police or anything then he probably isn\'t breaking any laws. Never hurts to check it out though, he could just be stupid.
Debi S.
Level 2
Level 2

The \" under four inch \" law is only in a few states -- not all. SO if he is selling like that then he knows the laws I bet. I\'m sure he wouldn\'t risk going to jail over a few measly bucks.
I live in South Carolina and I have found that living in the warmer states is totally different than living elsewhere. People sell just about anything on the side of the road. But most I talk to know the laws before they start.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,
Sometimes people do things illegally and plead ignorance later on. I think NYC is one of those that has the less than one inch is illegal law, and I still see people selling them in buckets on the street. Sometimes they have about 50 tiny baby turtles in a little box with hardly any water. They sell them for $5.00 a turtle.
Call the ASPCA around your area and find out what the laws are applicable in your state.

:D
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

I live in NC and turtle sale in pet shops is illegal I do believe, but personal sale to a friend or something is not. I need to look into this law and find out updated junk. :)
  • Information