A Turtle Story

Discussions about turtles.
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

Yesterday my girlfriend and I were walking along a trail next to a lake at a local park. As owe got nearer I saw a painted turtle on a branch in the water. As we got closer he/she saw us a dove in. We kept walking towards the branch, when we passed it I started to look for hatchlings because I\'ve seen them there before. Well I didn\'t find any but what we did find we will remember for ever. As I was looking at the edge of the lake I saw a Snpping turtle shell some what poking out of the water. So being the turtle lover I am I picked it up but he/she was stuck. As I moved the weeds the turtle was in around I noticed that it was tangled in fishing line. So I started to untangle the turtle. When I started to pull the turtle away from the water I didn\'t fell it move at all not even when I was taking the line off. I\'ve handled bigger ones before but this one didn\'t even move. As I examend the turtle I noticed a hook stuck in his mouth on the right side. I could now see that he was in pain. So I let him go and I melted the fishing line with a lighter and pick this snaper up. We didn\'t want to cause more pain for this guy so we walked half a mile to a park worker.

When we got to a worker he told us that he would be ok but he would have died if we hadn\'t untangled him. So the park worker/Ranger cut the hook as close to his mouth/beak as he could. At this time the turtle still didn\'t try to bite us. After the Ranger cut the ohook owe took the turtle back to the lake to release ohim and to clean up the rest of the trash around the area. Whan we let him go he took off into the water like nothing had ever happened. Oh by the way the Ranger said that from the acids in his mouth and the water in the lake the hook would fall out in about a week.

I\'m not sure why the turtle didn\'t try to hurt my girlfriend ,the Ranger, or me. Do you think he knew that we there to help? I do because it oseemed like he had a lot of energy whaen we released him. What do you think?! I brought a camera and I will ohave pictures soon, so I\'ll try and post them. And yes this is a true story!
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

Does anyone else have any crazy stories.
StephanieW31
Level 2
Level 2

I bet that turtle was just in too much pain and stressed to do any harm to either of you!! A few years back I was driving my huge boat of a car home from the store. I went around this sharp S curve getting into my neighborhood when I saw a box turtle in the middle of the road. So I caddy corner parked in the road, blocking traffic (Most people were mad and honking at me) and I jumped out of the car, scooped him up and placed him over a barbed wire fence that led to a mans large propery with alot of woods. When I got back in my car and started off...one lady waved, smiled and honked at me on her way past. At least ONE person I made wait appreciated my rescue of that turtle who might have gotten run over on his way to the woods!! I would hold up traffic ANYTIME!!
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

Well if I seen a human being untangling me and tryin to help, I don\'t believe I\'d be to afraid if I was a snapping turtle. I\'d be like take this thing out man it\'s hurtin like a. But hey, I\'m not a turtle so I don\'t have any idea what it was thinkin.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

I think the poor turtle probably thought that there was nothing more that could go wrong at that point, so why not just let you help it?
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I am surprised he didn\'t even try to bite you. He was probably worn out by that point, and he probably somehow knew you were trying to help.

I once tried to rescue a snapping turtle when I was younger. I found this little turtle in the middle of the road. I thought I was doing a really good thing, and I could help him. I thought that I could keep him in a box, then he would be ok, and I could just feed him vegies. Well my mom finally convinced me that he would be better off if I released him close to where I found him, but far a way from the road. So I did. I was so sad, because I wanted to keep him as a pet. But I know it was the best thing for him, since I didn\'t know how to care for him. The funny thing was that same day a neighbor down the street found a huge one, one of the largest I\'d ever seen, in the middle of the road close to where I found the little one. I use to always think it was the momma turtle.

About 10 years later I finally got my pet turtle. Not really a crazy story, just something I remembered.:)
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

Hey all stories are welcome! Crazy or not!
  • Information