help! red ear turtle

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
aiuna

hi, i have a red ear turtle that my friend gave to me. i got for her a 20gallon tank and a bowl and put water in the bowl and rocks around it so she can walk around, and a light over it. but now it says i need a UVB light too, i dont know if i can afford this, how much is it, where could i get one? does it cost alot? and is a black light the same thing?
also, my friend told me feed her once a day, but this website says twice a day, i feed her bits of dried shrimp from the pet store, should i feed her twice a day?
i love my turtle. her name is the turtle. please help. thanks
love
aiuna
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Hi
Its good you got her a 20 gallon tank she\'ll need the room. But I\'m cunfused about the bowl. Is the tank filled with water? It should be filled with water at least half way, with an area to bask. She needs to be able to get completely out of the water to bask. She needs a uvb light and basking lamp. You can get these at pet smart. The uvb light is kind of expensive, but nessecary. I cant remember how much the bulb was but I think I paid about $45 for the fixture. Don\'t use a black light, buy the UVB bulb. You also need to feed her something else other than shrimp. They mostly have protein, which is good, she needs other vitamins as well. Get turtle pellets, and feed her some vegies, like carrots and romain lettuce, at least once every few days. Feed her as much food as she can eat in few minutes. Thats a pretty good rule of thumb. Or about the size of her head. I feed mine twice a day. Hope this helps a little. Let me now how she does.:) By the way how big is she?
lynn
Level 1
Level 1

my red ears LOVE earthworms!
gina311
Level 2
Level 2

i feed mine a varity of turtle pellets, turkey, letuce, even grapes!

*gina*
InvisableMarker
Level 2
Level 2

my baby res seems to like salmon and small crikets
  • Information