I need HELP with my red ear slider, please

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
tsadek
Level 1
Level 1

I just brought 2 red ear sliders on my vacation for my son, and now I am having trouble with them. I did not realize how expensive it could get to have them, but now I really like them but I think I have done some things wrong. First of all, the place that I brought it at, which was a surf shop at the beach told me to feed it fish food, and they would not tell me anything else on how to care for them. I got some info from the internet and the pet store where I went to ask what kind of turtles they were but I am in desperate need of some advice and help. I got their tank set up all but the light and heater, but yesterday, I could not find one of the turtles, well, to make a long story short, i found him hidden in the rocks. I asked the pet shop and they told me he went into hibernation. Well, I took him out of the rocks and he is still that way, and he is out of the water. Please help me, did I hurt him by taking him out of the rocks and how do I get to get him to come out of hibernation? Also, how can you tell if is just hibernation or if the turtle is dead? The other turtle seems to be okay but has not eaten since I brought her home. I got her baby shrimp to eat and the floating sticks but still she will not eat. Please help me!!!!!!!!!!
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

HEy I don\'t think that the turtle is in hibernation yet I think that he/she is scared and is hiding. After a while they will start to come out more, or atleast mine did. It sounds like you\'re already one step ahead though, one of your turtles isn\'t hiding much. It will take a while for them to get used to their tank and to start working up an appitite.
Good Luck
Mike
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

Well when the water gets cool I do believe he may have thought about hibernation. Find you a good water heater. Keep the water about 77-85 somewhere round there. He should become more active.
  • Information