newbie - thank goodness for internet

Discussions about turtles.
sarky
Level 2
Level 2

Hello everyone,

New RES owner here, and I am so glad I found this website! I bought a red eared slider today on impulse on my way home from work and was quite pleased with myself until I got home and decided to do a bit more research (a little late, I know). I was quite dismayed to find that the little guy (or gal, can\'t tell) is just a baby and probably illegally sold! Furthermore, I realize now that the small plastic tank he came home in is all wrong. Nevertheless I hope I at least rescued him from possible neglect or mistreatment and can give him a good happy home.

I am not shy of taking on the challenge of getting his environment right, but maybe you guys could help me out. Right now he is in the aforementioned plastic tank with about 2 inches of water, a few small rocks for basking and a flourescent desk lamp for light. I want to get a tank set up for him ASAP but is he okay in there for now? Also I placed a food pellet on one of the rocks but he hasn\'t touched it yet. I\'m hoping it\'s just nerves.

Also I have a 30-gallon fish tank that I could use for him, but it is taller than it is wide, so I\'m wondering how hard it would be to get a basking area in there. Anyone have any experience with this? There are some tetras in the tank right now. Should I move those to a smaller tank, or would they be ok with the turtle?

Thanks for your help!

-s
human177
Level 3
Level 3

Buy some (floating) cork in the fishtank if you want a basking area but your turtle will probably eat the fish in the tank, get yourself a nice big tank with lights, filters, heaters, ... heck, just look here for some nice examples: http://members.tripod.com/~Draybar/draybarturtles.html
l8or g8or

Amazing isn\'t it? For such a little fella in the end will be spending lots of $$. But believe me, it\'s worth it. You will find everything you need right here on this site, but there are other great ones also if you search a little. I have pictures of Joe\'s tank if you\'d like to take a look:

http://usa.internations.net/pets/joemama/joe_mama.html (under \"Joe\'s Tank\")

Good luck & welcome to the board.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I have a 3 1/2 inch RES and he\'s in a 30 gallon tank, but I only have about 15 or so gallons, half way filled. Its deep enough for him for now, and we just stacked big rocks in a corner so that he can bask. Just make the water level deeper as necessary. Make sure you feed him in the water though. They won\'t really eat anything out of the water, except maybe some carrots. Pellets are fine, and as he gets bigger, he can eat fish. Also make sure you have a water heater, and basking and uvb lights, and a filter, and you should be good to go. It is expensive at first but its necessary. Here is another pretty good website. Its the first one I went to find info on my turtle when we first got him.
http://www.anapsid.org/reslider.html

Good Luck with the little guy, or girl!!
sarky
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I transferred him into a 10-gallon tank for now, until I have time to go to the pet store this weekend. He seems to have taken to it nicely, although I can tell he would like more room to swim. I can\'t wait to get my 30-gallon tank ready for him. I think I might leave the tetras in there for now so he can have some playmates and hopefully he won\'t eat them.

My only concern is how to get a UVB light for the 30-gallon tank, it\'s one of those all-in-one fishtanks with the flourescent light built in the top of the tank. Maybe I can just remove it.

One thing we still haven\'t done yet: named it! How do you name it if you don\'t know the gender yet? ;-)
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Thats funny, it took me a while to name my turtle also. I had the same problem, I didn\'t know the gender. So I finally decided to go for George, and just call him Georgia if he was a she.
StephanieW31
Level 2
Level 2

Your turtle won\'t eat the pellets if they aren\'t in the water...try putting it in the water. He is also stressed I am sure and he might not want to eat because of it. The 10 gallon sounds better than the plastic holder thing you had him in....I can\'t believe they sell those things!! Anyway....my set up is simple really. I found a large white rock leftover from our fish tanks and use that for a basking spot. They love it! I got my UVB light from a local pet store...cost about 30 dollars for the light and fixture. Replacing the bulbs is what gets expensive. Sometimes 40 dollars for a UVB bulb!!! I look through my classified ads in the paper for used fish tanks...you never know when a great deal pops up!! My RES will need a bigger tank soon....so I look all the time!!! When you do get the lights set up....keep them both on for 8 hours, then turn them off for 8 hours. Most RES owners do this. If you use gravel on the bottom of the tank, make sure its the larger gravel...you don\'t want your little guy (or gal) to eat it accidently. I have polished river rocks on the bottom of mine. Get some dried brine shrimp for a little treat for your RES. Mine love it!!
  • Information