What does everyone think?

Discussions about turtles.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I was wondering what others think about this. I keep seeing that people are writing that RES only need a few inches of water. I really disagree with this, and I was wondering if anyone had any comments about it. My turtle has about 15 or so gallons of water in his tank, and he looks happy swimming around all day. Of course he has a basking area, but the majority is water. Every book I looked at all showed more than a few inches of water. Just wondering
l8or g8or

I like a lot of water in my tank also. Joe has about 12 inches, and the baby has about 6 - 8 inches.
tucker

Tucker has a big swim area and does swim most of his day. He likes to bask but doesn\'t mind a small basking spot.
zoecat6
Level 1
Level 1

I couldn\'t agree more, the deeper the better!
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Hey,
I agree with you guys. The only thing that I would worry about is a turtle newbie putting in a lot of water without giving the turtle a spot to climb on when its tired of swimming.
human177
Level 3
Level 3

Tutles can hold their breaths longer than you think, even a few months while hibernating! Put some floating cork in the tank, simple as that
pictafan
Level 1
Level 1

In my [limited] experience, you have got to have enough water in the tank so that they can turn themselves back over if they manage to flip themselves. Our turtles seem to like deep water better than shallow. We use a piece of floating cork and stack of bricks as basking areas.
maxpower

my turtles have about 9 inchs of water they like the exercise their ok
StephanieW31
Level 2
Level 2

As long as there is a good basking spot they can get on and off easily...deep water shouldn\'t be a problem. I think they like deeper water. In a more elaborate set up, you can use gravel and make a beach and slope the rest of the gravel downward, making a shallow part gradually turning into a deeper part of water.
  • Information