salmanila, hw do you know?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Post Reply
jed and freds parents
Guest
Guest
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:25 pm
Contact:

how do you know if they are carrying it? We just brought our new 2in RES home, they will not eat at all, i hope they will adjust soon, any advice would be appreciated! also, is a heat source necessary if they are taken outside daily? and is that safe, how often should you handle them? we cant help but love on them!
thanks,
new parents of fred and jed
zoecat6
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2002 8:51 pm
Contact:

I personally don\'t think that you have to worry about it. I have 3 turtles that have never been tested that my husband and I handle all of the time and I have never had any problems. The only precaution you need to take is to wash your hands after handling them. My hatchlings wouldn\'t eat until they had a basking light set up (why, I don\'t know). Turtles have to have a basking light and a spot under it where they can get completely out of the water or they will develop shell rot. Also the water should be heated to about 80 degrees to keep them from getting respiratory infections.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:27 pm
Contact:

Salmanila bacteria can only effect humans inf ingested throughthte mouth. Wash your hands and you will have no problems
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:42 am
Contact:

BradleyChris is correct, but I would recommend antibacterial soap, since regular soap just removes dirt (lye & animal fat), and doesn\'t disinfect. Keep the water contained and don\'t let it drip. Don\'t let your turtle walk around the home, it increases the chance.

Bacteria can live for days, weeks and months in moist and dry surfaces. Just assume your turts are dirty and don\'t let them have contact with your home (i.e. rags, carpet, etc.) Keep them in their tanks or area.

You can have ingested the bacteria and not get sick. If you get sick, you\'ll have intestinal problems.

It\'s low risk, but it\'s there still. If you have good habits and wash your hands, the chances are very low.

Cheers,
JJ :)
Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests