Red Parasites

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
tcstibbs

In the last year, I have noticed that when I clean my turtle\'s aquarium, there are red wormy type creatures with segmented bodies. How can I make them go away? What are they? They don\'t seem to be bothering my babies.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Are they really tiny? Do they bury themselves in the rocks, and they wiggle around a lot when you disturb the rocks. I justed posted something about that, if you go to \"Help (somethings not right)\" posting. If they\'re the same as the ones in my tank, I\'m going get a product to treat the water, I just can\'t remember the name right now. I\'ll let you know. By the way do you have any tropical, or any other type of fish in the tank. Just curious, thought thats where mine might have come from.
tcstibbs

Hey, thanks for responding. Yes they are bright red and jerk around. No, don\'t have any tropical fish or otherwise. Maybe it is a parasite that was hosting on a bug they ate. ??????
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Well I think we have the same problem. I thought they came from my tropical fish, but maybe not. Have you added anything new to your tank recently? It is either those fish, or plants I added. Well we were going to buy a product at the pet store, but we decided not to. We are changing up the tank a bit. I decided to build a basking area, instead of the rocks we have. Anyway, we are going to get rid of the rocks, and poor boiling water in the tank to kill whatever these things are. I think I\'m going to keep the fish in a seperate tank for a little bit to see if these worms show up again. I\'ll be relieved once we get rid of them. Let me know what you do. If you use a product to kill them let me know if it works.:)
laufenkm

I have these creatures too in my tank. I have two red-eared sliders, and no fish or plants. Last time I cleaned them all out, I got very sick like food poisoning. Now, I see them again. I put some Kosher salt in there and there seems to be less of them, but I really am afraid now to mess with the tank. If anyone knows what they are, it sure would be better to know the enemy. They don\'t seem to bother the turtles at all.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I could never figure out exaclty what these things were. It was impossible to find out. What I did was boil out the tank, to kill any possible parasite. You really have to kill every last one, or they won\'t go away. I thought they were pretty much gone at one point, but when we completely emptied the tank to boil it out, we found several buried under rocks. They also make products that will kill any parasite. Look up Clout, and Mardel Coopersafe. They both should kill most parasites. I believe the Clout product lists several parasites that it kills. You could try to look up those individual parasites on the internet and see if any discription is close. Also, you\'ll have to remove your turtles for the treatment.

Good Luck!:)
laufenkm

Well, I cleaned the tank, with goggles, gloves, and mask. I boiled the rocks and other stuff, and poured boiling water in the tank. (of course without the turtles). I got a bigger and better filter, rinsed the turtles and put a bubbler in there where the water tends to stagnate around the rocks. Its been 4 days and so far so good. No getting sick and no sign of the creepy squigglers. Hopefully they\'re gone for good.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Sounds good.:) Just watch closely! I told you we did that, and a few weeks later, one little worm. Now there are more. I have no clue how they survived!! We boiled everything. The only thing I can think of is somehow they are surviving through the turtles or fish. We are going to try the products and see if we have any luck. Its really frustrating!
  • Information