I\'d like to put up my turtles for adoption at some point...

Discussions about turtles.
ownerofjekyllandhyde
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, I\'m new to this board, and relatively new to being an owner of red-eared sliders. I have two RES turtles -- appropriately, I believe, named Jekyll and Hyde. :) I love them to death, but unfortunately I am a poor college student who will soon be unable to purchase adequate housing and food for the turtles. Right now their shells are about 2\" (my aunt bought them at a flea market in SC not knowing they are illegal that small), but I have the feeling by sometime next year they will become too big for the housing they\'re in right now. I would rather not ship the little guys somewhere to be adopted, but if I have to I will... I live in Iowa, so I would prefer just to be contacted by someone in a nearby state who would be willing to take them.

Can any of you help me? Thanks.
StephanieW31
Level 2
Level 2

From what I hear, they grow kinda slow, but I am not sure on that....I am fairly new to owning them myself. You could check your local animal control shelter or a herp vet for any turtle rescue places near you. Some will gladly take healthy turtles and find homes for them.

try turtlehomes.org they may be able to help u out
somagirl

I can take them in. I already have a few hatchlings. I also have box turtles. I can send you pictures of my pets if you like. I live in VA and I am willing to split the shipping costs with you.
ownerofjekyllandhyde
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks somagirl! I just sent you an e-mail with some various information about Jekyll and Hyde and when I think I probably won\'t be able to care for them adequately ... I really appreciate your offer! :)
l8or g8or

there is someone on another board that has just built a pond and is looking for a couple of turtles. To me this would be perfect! Here is the link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/redearsli ... scount=-30
ownerofjekyllandhyde
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, l8or g8or, for the link! Unfortunately, that person is looking for adult turtles and my RES are only about 2-3\" big... they\'re not quite adults! :-)
deesygirl

I would contact a reputable pet store in your area. If you are uncomfortable with leaving your RES, you might want to put up a poster. Also check with your local vets. Often times they will also let you put up notices. It is legal to sell turtles that small if it is for educational purposes. Have you contacted any schools? Some teachers have wonderful set ups for turtles in the class room. I know, I am one. Good luck
ownerofjekyllandhyde
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks deesygirl. I\'ll check with my local pet stores, but I would much rather see Jekyll and Hyde placed directly from my home (dorm room) into another person\'s home. If that doesn\'t end up happening, I think I may just try turtlehomes.org. We\'ll see!

Do you want any more? :)

ownerofjekyllandhyde wrote:
Hi guys, I\'m new to this board, and relatively new to being an owner of red-eared sliders. I have two RES turtles -- appropriately, I believe, named Jekyll and Hyde. :) I love them to death, but unfortunately I am a poor college student who will soon be unable to purchase adequate housing and food for the turtles. Right now their shells are about 2\" (my aunt bought them at a flea market in SC not knowing they are illegal that small), but I have the feeling by sometime next year they will become too big for the housing they\'re in right now. I would rather not ship the little guys somewhere to be adopted, but if I have to I will... I live in Iowa, so I would prefer just to be contacted by someone in a nearby state who would be willing to take them.

corey

HI my name is corey and I live in NEW LENOX IL. I would be interested in giving your red ear sliders a good home I have (4) sliers now and (1) razor back musk turtle. I have a tank set up for the turtles and in the summer months I have a pond in my yard were the turles live and swim with koi. This pond is well protected and in the evening hours the turtles are brought back inside. If interested I can be reached at [email protected] THANKS COREY
boxluvr

hi i live in sioux city iowa and i could find a good home for your turtles. if you still need help finding ahome for them let me know at [email protected]
K8ie
Level 1
Level 1

Hey I already have one and I would LOVE to have a couple more to keep him company. If you are still looking for a home let me know. I am kinda far away but I am very interested!
baby_res
Level 2
Level 2

Have you found a home for your turtles?
ownerofjekyllandhyde
Level 1
Level 1

Nope, not officially, I do have one person who will definitely take them this summer if no one else will. Are you interested in them? If you are, let me know where you are and if you\'re willing to come and pick them up. Thanks. :-)

(or you can e-mail me, I respond to that a lot quicker than this message board)
ownerofjekyllandhyde
Level 1
Level 1

Nope, not officially, I do have one person who will definitely take them this summer if no one else will. Are you interested in them? If you are, let me know where you are and if you\'re willing to come and pick them up. Thanks. :-)

(or you can e-mail me, I respond to that a lot quicker than this message board)
Oh yeah, I know I probably shouldn\'t be like this, but I\'m going to be pretty picky of who I give them to... I\'ve grown so attached that I want to make sure they go to the best home possible, meaning they have a good place to live (a large aquarium, good basking spot, lots of food, etc.) and will get lots of care. I would prefer they be indoor turtles just because I know they\'ll be safe that way. I think all this concern goes along with being their \"mom\". :)
baby_res
Level 2
Level 2

I would love to take them but sorry I can\'t I live in Canada haha it would be hard to ship here. I have two babie res right now and I love them to death and I would take good care of your turtles if I had them but its kinda far for the poor things to go. . . if there was any other way then I would! sorry about that I wish you luck with finding the perfect home for them!! And so does Charly (female) and Lindy (male)!!
heatherkirk

heatherkirk

I can and will split shipping with you....
ownerofjekyllandhyde
Level 1
Level 1

heatherkirk wrote:

I can and will split shipping with you....
Where do you live? If e-mail is easier for you, e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks. :)
  • Information