SHELL FLAKING

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
MANDABELLS

MY RED EAR SLIDER OPHELIA HAS HAD A SMALL FLAKING AREA ON HER SHELL SINCE THE DAY I BOUGHT HER. ALSO, SHE HAS A FEW SMALL WHITE SPOTS ON HER SHELL. THE PET STORE TOLD ME THE SPOTS COULD BE A CALCIUM DEFICIENCY, BUT HE WAS UNSURE OF THE FLAKING. COULD YOU TELL ME WHAT THIS IS, ALSO HOW TO HELP WITH THE CALCIUM DEFICIENCY? THANKS!
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,
In response to your questions...I don\'t know about the shell flaking...it seems to me that whenever my turtles shed, it\'s because they are growing.
Now regarding the calcium deficiencies, I buy this calcium tablet that is shaped like a little white turtle and put it in my turtles\' water tank. It should be easy to find at your local pet shop and it only costs about $.99, or the most expensive that I\'ve seen it (in very high-end pet stores), is $4.99 dollars. It all depends on where you shop.
Hope this helps :D
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Turtles shed a layer from they\'re scutes from time to time. The white spots might be air that gets under the layer. My turtle just shed and he had these air pockets on his shell. It might also be a fungus. The symptons are white spots, or continuous shedding and flaking. Check out this sight. It should help. It has symptom and causes. If its the calcium problem then that tablet should help. Hope you get it figured out, Good Luck!!

mighthttp://petturtle.htmlplanet.com/turtleaid_sdrm.html
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

You can also use cuttle bone for birds, that can be found at wal-mart in the bird area. Just make sure you remove the bone from the back of it. They should eat it every now and then.
  • Information