snails in tank?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
agentm

is it ok to put snails in the tank? they are bigger than he is, plus they are so cheap they are easy to replace if he does eat them.. are they poisionous?
zoecat6
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 75 gallon tank with 3 turtles. I have 5 snails of varying sizes in with them and multiple fish. The snails help clean the tank and although my turtles don\'t bother them or the fish, a lot of turtles do eat them but that is ok as the calcium in the snails shells is good for the turtles.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, you could put snails in there, your turtles will eat them. Just don\'t put too much in! ;)
Willie

I put a snail in my tank, and it made one heck of a mess...it left its slime all over the tank, and it clogged up the filter.
Greg2255288
Level 2
Level 2

I d not reccomend snails for a very strong reason. the other day i woke up and there was a snail on the back og my turltes back and i do not know how long my turlte was on the bottom of teh tank for with tehis stupid snail on his back, so i got the turtle and put him on the area out of teh water under teh light and he was breathing eratically, and i had to go to school, so my siser watched him, and thank god he is doing fine now, as for teh snail, he is out in teh snow somewhere, i was really upset!!!
TamaraN
Level 1
Level 1

the turtles eat snails i put a snail in and my turtle didn\'t mess with it for like a few minutes an then it just ate it i guess it was good for him but yeah....:)
  • Information