Please help... sick hatchling

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
SliderOwner

I believe that my hatchling Venezuelan slider may be ill. He has swollen eyes, very little appetite, and seems lethargic. I have been to a vet, who recommended a vitamin A injection. However, I\'ve read that with hatchlings, it\'s difficult to determine correct dosages and an overdose can kill the little guy. (He\'s about an inch and a half) I\'d really appreciate advice. Here\'s a little more background info, if you need it:

The turtle was in great shape when I received him, exploring his tank, eating, and showing no shyness of people. After a few days, his eyes began to swell. His terrarium had previously belonged to a turtle who had been ill (respitory infection and soft shell when I got him) but who had recovered wonderfully and had been well for some time. I had cleaned the tank but seeing this reaction, I cleaned everything again, with bleach. Swelling continued, so I tested PH. It was 7.4, so I decreased it to 7.0. Swelling has gotten a bit better now, but at this time, I noticed that while the turtle still basks and soaks, he seems to not to move if he doesn\'t need to. He also won\'t open his eyes when you first pick him up. He has no trouble walking and swimming when he needs to. He used to eat about 1/2 teaspoon of ReptiMin Hatchling food and sun-dried shrimp, every other day. Now eats one 1/4 inch shrimp every other day and ignores the pellets. I was also very alarmed to notice that his shell seems soft, although it still has a normal, vibrant coloration. By the way, my turtle gets full-spectrum lighting and I keep his tank at 75-80 F. I spoke with a pet store manager, who suggested simply removing all water conditioner (dechlorinator and PH balancer) from the water and waiting, in case he has an allergic reaction. However, I feel that things have gotten somewhat too urgent to wait and I\'m desperately seeking a 3rd opinion. I would really appreciate any help you could provide. Is vitamin A a good solution?
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

Swollen eyes is a lack of vitamin A, my turtle was having the same prob. I got the water to about 85-87 and feed him/her some carrots which are high in vitamin A and now he/she seems to be doin really well.
  • Information