Auto feeder for RES?

Discussions about turtles.
lowprofiler
Level 1
Level 1

We\'ll be out of town next weekend, and I was wondering if there\'s something like dogs/cats auto feeders for RES? I feel reluctant to put my two RESs in the small container at a friend\'s for 3 days...
Debi S.
Level 2
Level 2

I would get about a dozen feeder fish and put in their tank. They will be fine for three days - maybe longer. I know alot of people do this -- I do this myself. It gives the turtles something to do and eat.
Good luck !
lowprofiler
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, Debi; that\'s a great idea! What kind of fish would you recommend?
Debi S.
Level 2
Level 2

I use the feeder goldfish. But I have heard of people using feeder guppies. I guess it depends on how big or small your turtle is.
I just buy what is on sale . LOL
lowprofiler
Level 1
Level 1

I fed my RESs feeder Tuffy (which was on sale :) last night and they seemed to love it. It was fascinating to see them chase the fish and swallow it.
mafianick
Level 1
Level 1

yeah, i would recommend the fish :)
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Three days is no problem... even without fish. I have known pet stores that don\'t feed their turtles for weeks! But that is dangerous cause they\'ll be buring their muscle reserves.

Anyway feeder fish is good, or what I also do is leave piles of food on the dry area for them to find later. I have a pretty big basking area with nooks and crannies. I leave for long weekends a lot and I don\'t always buy feeder fish. Sometimes I do and sometimes I leave my little piles of dreid shrimp or dried fish.

Cheers,
JJ
  • Information